Chapter 21: Burnt Down and Risen from the Ashes

The Great Hall had been done up in a way that Shaye had never seen it before. The usually brightly lit room with long picnic-style tables that sat hundreds of Hogwarts students was now dark and dimly lit by the flaming torches on the walls. The tables had been replaced with one long blue catwalk stage in the middle of the room that depicted stars and the various stages of the moon cycle from crescent to full. 

Already, Shaye could tell that this wasn't about to be a normal Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Plenty of other students from different houses and different years had been invited to whatever was taking place. Even Fred and George were there.

"Gather round!" Lockhart strode across the stage as the students crowded around it. "Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?" There was an abundance of nodding heads in the audience. "Excellent. In light of the dark events in recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves ... as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works."

Lockhart then untied the half-cape that he had been wearing over his left shoulder and tossed it into the crowd. A group of girls shrieked and grabbed at the article of clothing wildly, hoping to claim the cape as their own. Suddenly, this class had turned into a Lockhart Fanclub meeting. 

"That Lockhart's something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap." A boy from Hufflepuff turned to Harry and Shaye. "Justin Finch-Fletchley. Hufflepuff," he introduced himself. 

Harry shook Justin's hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm-"

"I know who you are." Justin smiled. "We all do. Even us muggle-borns. "

"Let me introduce my assistant!" Lockhart continued, cutting Harry and Justin's conversation short. "Professor Snape."

Slowly, Snape stepped up onto the stage, his black robes flowing behind him. A whisper worked its way through the crowd between the Slytherin students.

"He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration," Lockhart said. "Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear."

A hush fell over the students as Lockhart and Snape drew their wands and stepped to the middle of the long, rectangular catwalk. At once, they rose their wands in front of their faces, held them at their sides, and bowed. Then they turned, took five steps away in the opposite direction of one another, and spun to face each other once more. 

"One. Two. Three!" Lockhart exclaimed.

"Expelliarmus!" Snape cast the first spell, which sent a wave of gold light shooting from the tip of his wand. Lockhart flew back through the air before landing hard on his back near the end of the catwalk. 

Shaye couldn't help but laugh. Despite how much she disliked Snape, there was no doubt that watching Lockhart get knocked onto his behind was an enjoyable sight to behold.

Lockhart let out a low groan as he began to push himself back up onto his feet. "Do you think he's all right?" Hermione seemed genuinely worried.

Ron snickered. "Who cares?"

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape," Lockhart complimented as he walked back to the middle of the stage. It was obvious he was hiding just how much pain he was in. "But if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy."

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, professor," Snape suggested. 

Lockhart was silent for a moment before grinning wide. "An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?"