Chapter 60: From Famous to Infamous

Hearing the loud, high-pitched whistle of the Hogwarts Express, which meant the train would be leaving soon, Shaye looked out the window at the station platform, searching the crowd for Harry. Neither she, Ron or Hermione had seen him since he had left that morning for his hearing at the Ministry. The outcome was unknown to them, which meant that Harry could just have easily been expelled after all and the train would leave without him on it.

Thankfully, just after the last whistle sounded, Harry ducked into the compartment and took a seat opposite Shaye. 

"Well, how was it?" Shaye asked. She was beyond curious to hear about what had happened. 

Harry shrugged. "All charges were cleared and I wasn't expelled, so it went okay, I guess. Dumbledore was there to defend me though. I don't think it would have gone nearly as well if he hadn't shown up."

"It's good he was there then," Hermione said. "He's always going to protect you, Harry."

Harry nodded. "Yeah . . . but when I tried to talk to him afterward he just ignored me and walked out."

"He is a busy man," Ron said. "I wouldn't read too much into it, mate."

"The important part is that you're here with us," Shaye told Harry. Harry nodded in agreement.

The majority of the train ride to Hogwarts was done in silence. After the ordeal at number 12 Grimmauld Place and the uncovered truth about the Order of the Phoenix, there was a collective feeling of dread looming; almost like a cloud, following Shaye and the others wherever they went.

Despite the Ministry's determination to deny the return of Voldemort, the truth was blinding and soon his rise to power would be unstoppable. A war was coming whether the Ministry liked it or not; its arrival thick in the air like the rising pressure before a storm. You could run inside and close the curtains all you want, but eventually, the rain would come.

When Shaye startled awake after dozing off in her seat, she stared out the window and was a little surprised to see that they had already arrived at the Hogwarts Station and that the sun had set and the night sky was there to greet her.

"We're here already?" Shaye asked as she stood up, filed out of the compartment and followed her friends off the train. "I felt like I closed my eyes for two minutes."

"You were out pretty quickly," Hermione told her. "We decided to let you sleep. You looked like you needed it. Are you still having trouble sleeping?"

Shaye stretched her sore neck, which was out of sorts after the way it had been bent while she slept on the train. "I spent most of the summer sleeping," she said. "I slept fine last night too. I guess everything going on has just been a little overwhelming."

"You mean the fact that your and Harry's dads both fought in the Order together?" Ron asked.

Shaye nodded. "Among other things, yes."

Hermione snickered. "Or maybe she means being reunited with George again."

Ron groaned. Harry chuckled. Shaye smiled softly. "That's one of the other things."

"I'm surprised the Ministry is still letting you walk around free, Potter." the annoying, self-entitled tone of Draco could be heard behind the group of four as they walked along the platform. "You better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it."

Harry suddenly lunged at Draco and his goons, Crabbe and Goyle. Ron held him back before he could do anything he would regret, however. He had already almost been expelled before the year had even started. He didn't need to go picking fights on the first night, even if it was Draco.