Chapter 13: Walking Bravely into the Unknown

When Shaye finally came to again, she was staring up at the white ceiling of the hospital wing. Her head was pounding something fierce and there was a slight, persistent feeling as if a baby elephant was sitting on her chest. But otherwise, she felt okay considering everything she had gone through; well, at least everything she could remember having gone through. 

Bits and pieces were missing, and Shaye had no idea how she had gotten from the cave to her hospital bed, but she was still able to recall the major events such as the Devil's Snare, flying keys, a brutal game of chess, a flaming room with a mirror, and a haunting voice. 

The one part that stood out most of all, however, was the sharp memory of Voldemort mentioning her sister's name. He spoke with such confidence and conviction that it was hard not to believe him, even if he was saying the worst possible things.

Lorelei couldn't be dead, could she? Voldemort had never actually said the word 'dead', but surely that was what he had been implying? Surely he had been trying to use Shaye's love for her sister against her.

"Shaye," a weak voice squeaked out. 

Looking to her side, Shaye saw that Harry was in the bed next to her. He wasn't wearing his glasses and his face was covered with scratches and bruises, but he was alive and that was what was most important. 

The tables beside both Harry's and Shaye's beds were full of 'Get Well Soon' cards, flowers, and other various gifts like sweets and little toys.

"Are you okay?" Shaye's voice cracked from her dry throat so she reached for the cup of water sitting next to a large card that was signed by Hermione.

"Yeah." Harry sat up, revealing his striped pajamas and bandage on his right hand. "Are you?"

Shaye sat up as well and noticed that she and Harry were the only ones in the hospital wing. "I think so."

As soon as Harry put his glasses back on, he smiled wide at all of the gifts and cards that had been left for him. Shaye smiled as well.

When a light pair of footsteps could be heard, the two students turned to see Dumbledore approaching. "Good afternoon, Harry. Shaye." He gave a subtle nod as he stepped up to the bedside table filled with presents. "Tokens from your admirers?"

"Admirers?" Harry cocked his head.

"What happened down in the dungeons between you two and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret," Dumbledore said. "So, naturally, the whole school knows."

Shaye chuckled. "The whole school? Really?"

"Indeed." Dumbledore nodded and picked up an empty Chocolate Frogs box. "Ah, I see that your friend Ronald has saved you the trouble of opening your Chocolate Frogs."

"He just wants the cards." Shaye smirked.

"Ron was here? Is he alright?" Harry inquired. "What about Hermione?"

Dumbledore held up a hand, wordlessly telling Harry to calm down. "Fine. They're both just fine."

Harry did, indeed, seem to relax for a moment. But then a whole new slew of questions bombarded his brain. "But what about the Stone?"

"Relax, dear boy. The Stone has been destroyed," Dumbledore told him. "My friend Nicholas and I have had a little chat and agreed it was best all around."

"But then, Flamel ... he'll die, won't he?" Shaye asked.

Making his way between the two students, Dumbledore sat down on the edge of Harry's bed. "He has enough Elixir to set his affairs in order. But yes, he will die."