5) Thorns on the Sink

ZANDER'S POV

"Ugh..." I coughed one last time. Luke sighed, patting my back.

"You should tell someone about this." He suggested. I shook my head, thinking about the future.

"I'll be fine, Luke." I muttered. "No one has to know about it. It might even start more problems to the club and we'd do bad at the competition."

"It'll start more problems if you don't tell anyone." He said. I ignored him and washed my mouth and wands before cleaning the sink. Luke sighed but helped, then he grabbed something that was stuck on the sink. "I... Don't want you to die either."

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking at him before noticing what he got on his hand. Of course...

"Your disease is developing into something very severe. Please just go to the hospital Zander." Luke begged.

"I don't need to. Like I said, I'll be just fine." I hissed, not wanting to look at him anymore.

"I care for you, Zander. You're my friend--- My childhood friend and seeing you like this just makes me feel really sad." He said. "These thorns... They're killing you!"

"I know! I just---" I didn't know what else to say. At this point, I'm speechless. "I don't want to disappoint the club. We've been practicing for a month now and if I tell everyone, we might need to step down from the competition."

"I can see why that's true..." Luke agreed with me. At least he isn't those type of friend who would see things in just one perspective. "But, your life means a lot more than the competition to me. And I bet if we tell everyone else, they would also think the same."

"Hmm..." I hummed. But he's still able to convince me anyway.

"So, do you want to tell them?" Luke asked. "If you don't tell them by tomorrow night, I'll tell them." He threatened.

.

"Is there at least another way?" I asked. "A way where I'll be okay and we'd still be able to do the competition? Anything is possible, right?"

"I think there IS a way, but you'd likely chose this way I think." He muttered.

"What?" I asked.

"Tell him, Zander." Luke looked at me with his dead serious eyes. "Tell him that you love him. He might love you back, you know?"

"He thinks his soulmate is Daisy!" I reminded.

Luke sighed. "That's the only way, unless you want to get surgery and make us step away from the competition."

"No, not that." I sighed. "I don't know... All of the choices are hard. Why must it be me? In a very bad time? Did I ever do anything bad?"

"It's okay, Zander. Even if we decide to not be in the competition, you're still our friend." Luke reassured. "No one can blame you for that. Hailey's your stepsister. She loves you. Sean and Milly are our friends. They believe in you. I've been there since we were young. I support you. And Jake. He trusts you. You know that right?"

"Yeah..." I looked down towards the sink. Jake's been teasing us for a long time now. He said hurtful words that affected me but in the end, I somehow got his trust anyway and I trust him back.

"So, what are you going to do?" Luke asked. I thought of it for a while before I got an idea.

"Two plans. Plan A, I try to get him have feelings for me? I guess? But that sounds selfish." I muttered, realizing it now.

"The way you make it sound like does." Luke agreed. I gave him a small glare. "Sorry, sorry. Normal slip-outs."

"If that doesn't work then I'll have to tell everyone." I shrugged. "That's all I got that doesn't ended up with me being dead."

"Good plans. I'm glad you're finally thinking about this." He smiled. I smiled back.

----@----

I eyed the clock in the class as it ticks every second. School is going to end soon. This better be quick. I do not want to wait any longer. I need to do this quick.

Ms. Jones is giving a long speech and it seems that the whole class is quite interested in her speech. I glanced at Jake. He was asleep, like what he usually will be doing in very long speeches.

He actually looks cute when asleep. Why haven't I known that sooner?

"Ah, um... Jake, can you please wake up?" Ms. Jones said. I quickly looked back at my paper with a small blush left on my cheeks. "S-sadie, can you help me wake Jake up?"

Sadie stood up without hesitance. Oh no. The scary one has waken up from her silent slumber. She took her way to Jake without making any noises then flicked Jake's cheek. That was effective. It woke up Jake immediately.

"H-huh? What?" He rubbed his forehead, where Sadie flicked him on. "Oh, Sadie! What's wrong?"

"Do not fall asleep in class ever again." Sadie said with her dark tone and dark eyes. Jake immediately turned pale and smiled, obviously scared.

"Yeah..! I-I won't. Promise." He gave a thumbs up before Sadie went back to her desk. Even if she's talking about Jake, it will still make my skin shiver.

"Thank you Sadie!" Ms. Jones smiled softly. How is she not scared from that!? "Anyway, good luck to all of you, music club members! I have reserved a seat at the front so I hope you all do your very best!"

Oh no. Why did she have to say that? She's making me feel bad.

RING!

"Oh, there goes the bell." She said. "All of you are dismissed. And remember, tomorrow is friday! So make sure to come to school."

The whole class stood up in sync. I looked at Hailey. She smiled and patted my back.

"Let's go! Everyone better be there." She crossed her arms. I looked at Jake as he strolled out of the class, still looking traumatized. Hailey looked at the direction I was looking at. "He must be going to the club! Come on."

----@----

i didnt want this chapter to be long but guess who finished it early ayye-