Part 3: Self-Assessment; The Gift of Perception (Discernment of Spirits)

Characteristics:

1) Quickly and accurately identifies good and evil, hates evil. (Hollywood seems to have trouble with this lately, as vampires, werewolves, and 'wicked witches' and other traditionally evil creatures become good and 'misunderstood', while the traditionally good characters become the bad guy. Someone with a gift of perception does not see something that is bad as 'good' and they hate the bad.)

2) Sees everything as either black or white- no grey or indefinite areas. (Does not believe that whether something is wrong or not depends on the circumstances. I.e. it is always wrong to steal.)

3) Easily perceives the character of individuals and groups. (When walking into a room with several groups of people standing around (for example), 'gets a feeling' or identifies how that group will act (troublemakers vs. people who just like to 'goof around', vs. the very serious.)

4) Encourages repentance that produces good fruit. (If someone is doing something wrong in their life, gently and lovingly encourages that person to stop, in favor of more Godly behavior.)

5) Believes that acceptance of difficulties will produce positive, personal brokenness. (Views hard times or terrible life events as something God will use to grow a better Christian, in the long run, and accepts these things with calm assurance rather than trying to avoid them.)

6) Has only a few or no close relationships. (Would rather have one or two friends that can go through anything together, rather than many casual acquaintances. Therefore, may be perceived as a loner or as having trouble making friends.)

7) Views the Bible as the basis for truth, belief, action, and authority. (This means that the Bible is NEVER discounted as 'that was then, this is now', or 'that part is inaccurate.' No matter how a society's morals or values change, the Bible is held as the standard of truth, belief, action and authority.)

8) Boldly operates on Spiritual principles. (Doesn't care what other people think as the Bible's teachings are acted upon. This person follows what the Bible says, in public and conspicuously.)

9) Is frank, outspoken, and doesn't mince words. (When discussions come up about what a person believes or what is right or wrong, this person 'tells it like it is' without trying to soften or tame the message.)

10) Is very persuasive in method of speaking. (When discussing things, this person can stick to the truth in a way that encourages people to agree, even when they started with an opposing viewpoint.)

11) Grieves deeply over the sins of others. (To grieve is to mourn; to feel a deep and lasting sadness over something.)

12) Is eager to see his own blind spots and to help others see theirs, too. (Says, 'I know I'm not perfect,' and actively seeks to improve weaknesses or flaws in moral character or personality.)

13) Desires above all else to see God's plan worked out in all situations. (Even when the situation seems detrimental to the person or someone else asking for prayer, asks God to work His will in the situation, rather than asking for a seemingly-better outcome.)

14) Strongly promotes the spiritual growth of groups or individuals. (Encourages others toward decisions, intentions and actions that conform to God's will for their lives.)

15) Is called to intercession. (Intercession is committed, deep and earnest prayer for someone or something specific.)

16) Feels the need to verbalize or dramatize what he 'sees'. (Speaks or acts on an understanding or conviction regarding a certain matter.)

17) Tends to be introspective. (Introspection is thinking about a person's own mental and emotional state; self-analysis. The introspective person spends time considering exactly who they are, how they feel about or what they believe regarding specific matters.)

18) Has strong opinions and convictions.

19) Has strict, personal standards.

20) Desires to be obedient to God at all costs.

Total for gift:_____

Typical problem areas of the gift of perception:

1) Tends to be judgmental and blunt.

2) Forgets to praise partial progress due to goal consciousness. (This person gets so wrapped up in what they want to see in another person, they forget to praise that person for steps in 'getting there' because they only see the lack.)

3) Is pushy in trying to get others and groups to mature spiritually.

4) Is intolerant of opinions and views that differ from own. (This is the person that resorts to insults and shouting during a discussion because they don't want to hear another point of view, and thinks that everyone that disagrees with own position is wrong.)

5) Struggles with self-image problems. (Either thinks too highly of self (the 50-selfie-a-day person), or not highly enough (the constantly-insults-or-discounts-self person.)

Total for problem areas:_____

Here is a shot of the Excel version: