Part 3: Self-Assessment; The Gift of Service

Characteristics:

1) Easily recognizes practical needs and is quick to meet them. (When sees that something needs to be done, steps in to do what is needed rather than telling another that it needs to be done.)

2) Especially enjoys manual projects, jobs and functions. (Likes to work with hands to do things, get work done or at a work bee-type function.)

3) Keeps everything in meticulous order. (Likes to keep personal spaces clean and organized; room, desk, etc.)

4) Is a detail person with a good memory. (Is good at remembering not only random facts, but small snippets of information needed to carry out a future task or to please an individual. Ex. Easily remembering how a specific person likes coffee and can make it to their liking.)

5) Enjoys showing hospitality. (When someone visits, enjoys seeing that they are comfortable, relaxed and enjoying themselves.)

6) Will stay with something until it's completed. (Is usually one of the last to leave, making sure that all the work is done after an event.)

7) Has a hard time saying no to requests for help.

8) Is more interested in meeting the needs of others than own needs.

9) Enjoys working on immediate goals rather than long-range goals. (Likes to get things done for the 'here and now' rather than planning for a long-term goal or project.)

10) Shows love for others in deeds and actions more than words. (Likes to show love by doing favors or completing needed tasks for people.)

11) Needs to feel appreciated.

12) Tends to do more than asked to do.

13) Feels greatest joy in doing something that is helpful.

14) Does not want to lead others or projects. (When asked to help, prefers to join others and do as told, rather than take charge.)

15) Has a high energy level.

16) Cannot stand to be around clutter. (When something looks untidy or out of place, either starts to clean up without thinking about it, or must restrain self in order not to offend.)

17) Tends to be a perfectionist.

18) Views serving to be of primary importance in life.

19) Prefers doing a job to delegating. (The best example is the person who says, 'It'll be faster to do it myself than to explain it.')

20) Supports others who are in leadership.

Total for gift:_____

Typical problem areas of the gift of Service:

1) Is critical of others who do not help out with obvious needs. ("Well, don't just stand there, grab a towel and help!")

2) May neglect own family's needs by being too busy helping others.

3) May become pushy or interfering in eagerness to help. (This person, trying to help, accidentally tries to take over.)

4) Finds it hard to accept being served by others. (The apostle Peter is a good example; he didn't want Jesus to wash his feet!) This person may say, "oh, don't do that; I'll get it. You don't have to . . ."

5) Is easily hurt when unappreciated.

Total for problem area: _____

Here is a shot of the Excel file: