Part 3: Self-Assessment; The Gift of Teaching

Characteristics:

1) Presents truth in a logical, systematic way.

2) Validates truth by checking out the facts.

3) Loves to study and do research.

4) Enjoys word studies.

5) Prefers to use biblical illustrations rather than life illustrations.

6) Gets upset when Scripture is used out of context.

7) Feels concerned that truth be established in every situation.

8) Is more objective than subjective. (Objective is focused on the science and facts of a situation where subjective is concerned with the emotional response or intentions.)

9) Easily develops and uses a large vocabulary.

10) Emphasizes facts and accuracy of words. (This person loves a good thesaurus! Shades of meaning are important to this person, as far as exactly 'how true' a certain statement may be, so using the right words is important.)

11) Checks out the source of knowledge of others who teach. (Looks to see where a source got their information from. Is the source reliable?)

12) Prefers teaching believers over engaging in evangelism. (Would rather lead a Bible study than to stand on a street corner and try to lead others to Christ.)

13) Feels Bible study is foundational to the operation of all the gifts. (Feels that knowing the Word of God backward and forward is the springboard that the Holy Spirit needs to use a person effectively.)

14) Solves problems by starting with Scriptural principle. (If your first response is 'what does the Bible say about it?')

15) Is intellectually sharp. (Not only smart enough to understand difficult concepts, but capable of explaining it to someone else.)

16) Is self-disciplined. (Is stubborn about maintaining regular habits of devotion and study.)

17) Is emotionally self-controlled.

18) Has only a select circle of friends.

19) Has strong convictions and opinions based on investigation of facts.

20) Believes truth has the intrinsic power to produce change.

Total for gift:_____

Typical problem areas of the gift of teaching:

1) Tends to neglect the practical application of truth. (Reads Bible and study materials but doesn't change anything about their life or habits because of what they read or learned.)

2) Is slow to accept viewpoints of others.

3) Tends to develop pride in intellectual ability. (Teachers are naturally smart; so it's easy to be proud of how smart the teacher is.)

4) Tends to be legalistic and dogmatic. (Legalistic is when a person is more concerned with the rules and regulations than they are with personal faith. Dogmatic means the same, but more the 'rules of church denomination' rather than the rules of the Bible.

5) Is easily sidetracked by new ideas. (Does your conversation look like multiple onramps and overpasses of a super highway, where the topic changes so often you never do get to the point of the original discussion?)

Total for problem areas:_____

Here's a shot of the Excel file: