Part 3: Mr. Gilderoy Green (The Catwalk)

Whodunnit Part 3: Mr

Whodunnit Part 3: Mr. Gilderoy Green

***

As you grip the door handle to the theatre seating, you feel inclined to prolong your return to the on-scene investigation completed by detectives and specialists. You start pacing up and down the hallway just outside the theater, contemplating who you should approach next.

In the midst of your inner thoughts mapping your next move, you notice that the door to the backstage of the theatre is cracked open. You make your way to the entrance to the backstage, opening the door slowly with the hope that neither students, staff, or detectives hears the annoying creaking sounds from the rusted doorway.

You walk onto the stage floor. You look around the room. The back and middle curtains are closed but the front curtains are open. You hear a clunking sound from above, masked by the jumbled conversations of those in the audience seating.

You decide to climb the nearest catwalk access ladder. Right in the middle of the catwalk, facing the audience, you see Mr. Gilderoy Green snapping photos of the distressed crowd with his smartphone. You approach him, with the hope to gain more answers.

|You| "Gilderoy Green, I'm surprised to see you with a smartphone. I usually see you with your film camera when you're on call."

|Mr. Gilderoy Green| "Pfft, I'm always on call. You don't get to be editor-in-chief of The Academy Times and intern to The Towne Chronicles for nothing. Plus, smartphones are handy with silent photos, I'll just slap on a film filter like you see on aesthetic social media."

|You| "What are you doing up here? Shouldn't you be in the audience?"

|Mr. Green| "Shouldn't you also? I'm part of the press. Besides, the catwalk has the best access and amazing natural lighting. The lighting operators from the stage crew always do this type of stuff from what I've heard."

|You| "I recently got to know that you were seeing Ms. Scarlett for a while. How well did you know Patti, the girl who died? I understand she was best friends with Scarlett."

|Mr. Green| "Those were an interesting few months. After the falling out with the lovely Aphrodite Scarlett we ended up as best friends, then I fell for Patrice Brewer. She was a great friend to both of us and we had a wonderful relationship, until ...."

|You| "Let's cut to the chase, who was the other girl?"

|Mr. Green| "That's the thing I don't know. She began to pop up around Patrice and I. Patrice told me later on that the girl had a crush on me, and that she was in the grade below us. Honestly though, I can't remember much except that she was rather odd and insisted that we were in the same year. She was rather quiet. Although to be fair, I take pictures of everyone at this school. It can be hard to keep track.

|You| "Since you're a part of the press. Do you know who was involved with the film?"

|Mr. Green| "Definitely not the headmaster, Colonel Mustard. He's usually involved with the film process and the open school night. The past two years he hasn't involved himself in either. Usually the film is some ironic public service announcement style film."

Mr. Green pulls out his film photo compilation of all his past work.

|You| "You brought your life's work to a film screening where the police are now conveniently interrogating people?"

|Mr. Green| "I'm in my last year here before I go into the big leagues. This was meant for the photography teacher during Open School Night, y'know to get those connections. Shush now, you're the first person to gaze upon this masterpiece."

Mr. Green pulled out two film photos. One from the past year, one from two weeks ago. Both of Colonel Mustard.

|You| "What is this?"

|Mr. Green| "These are two photos. The first one is from last year's indie screening of To Smoke or Not To Smoke. Colonel Mustard was involved through the whole film process and during last year's screening, he sat in the very center row. A random seat in the very center row, but he would pick it randomly each year to show that he was open to changing things up. Only the faculty would know.

|You| "The second photo?"

|Mr. Green| "The strict and hardened Colonel Mustard now has a special friend. The second photo was taken two weeks ago, Colonel Mustard dressed up fancy. He was almost unrecognizable and right on the edge of this photo, was he reaching out to hold a woman's hand."

|You| "It appears Colonel Mustard here has a lady friend. Interesting."

You thank Mr. Green for his time. You head back down the catwalk access ladder. Yet, as you get to the stage floor, you notice a film photo with interesting content.

As you prepare to leave the theatre, you can smell a faint, but distinct smell of smoke. You stare at the film photos you've just received, contemplating your next move.

What do you do?

***

The Options

a) You head back to the audience and interview another suspect. Who do you decide to interview?

b) You head towards Headmaster Mustard's Office. Who are you looking for information about?

c) You decide to take a look at the stage workshop. Who do you stumble across there?

***

Continue to the next chapter for the voting form.