Part 5: Miss Scarlett and Mr. Green

***

You stand in the theater, near the oak double doors that Mr. Mustard had insisted on building himself three years earlier. When you walk further into the theater you realize that the police had kept themselves busy with interviewing the remaining audience members. Parents terrified for their children's lives and film attendees who never expected to witness murder before their very eyes.

Your racing heart stabilizes when you realize you were still pinching the corner of the film photo of Mr. Mustard and his mystery woman. You flatten out the scrunched up corner and brush the dust off when you can hear muffled laughter amongst the many conversations.

You turn your head around. The laughter came from Miss Scarlett and Mr. Green, sitting away from the crowd and inside the control booth. You walk to the back of the theater and towards the control booth. You might be able to receive more information from either of the two.

|Mr. Gilderoy Green| "The perks of having official press passes from the Towne Chronicles. You can get away with everything with this piece of plastic."

|Miss Aphrodite Scarlett| "Like when you used your press pass to get access to Mrs. Peacock's gated community so you can egg her house?"

|Mr. Green| "To be fair, she gave me a D on my polaroids for our Greek history project during 8th grade. I'll have you know, I worked extremely hard on those polaroids. I drove an hour to a Greek History fair."

|Miss Scarlett| "All we needed to do was write a five-page academic research paper."

You decide to chime in as time is of the essence. The police are almost done questioning the witnesses.

|You| "I'm sorry for interrupting this lovely conversation, but why did you decide to come here of all places?"

|Miss Scarlett| "Mr. The Editor-in-Chief here had an interesting idea to check out the crime scene from the control booth perspective. He has a key to the office from when Patti was one of the theater leads last year. She worked closely with the stage crew and the cast."

|Mr. Green| "If you look from where I am sitting, you can tell that the knife couldn't have been attached directly from the ceiling above without a ladder. However, no one could have done this without everyone turning their eyes their way. The only way someone could have done this was to tie the end of the knife to rope through some kind of adhesive -- such as tape, the rope itself, superglue -- and throw the knife over the in-between bar that connects the overhead theater lights that shine over the audience. This would have had to be done with haste, and the only person who would be able to do this is someone who had access to the inner workings of the theater."

|You| "Don't you have a press pass?"

|Mr. Green| "Hon, I'm a journalist. As a fellow artist, I respect the stage crew's wish for me to only take pictures of the final product."

|You| "An artist... right. Miss Scarlett, I've heard from some people that you were seen glaring at Mrs. Peacock. Why is that so?"

|Miss Scarlett| "You heard them right. Though, it was not because of a petty feud if that's what you're thinking. Mrs. Peacock is a mentor to me. I was glaring because, when the film ended, the theatre lights bounced off the shiny new ring she got from her special someone.

You show Miss Scarlett the photo of Mr. Mustard in an unrecognizable uniform reaching out for a woman's hand.

|You| "Did the ring look like this?"

|Miss Scarlett| "Either my eyesight is atrocious or someone needs to take better film photos. That definitely is as close as it'll get. So that's what Mr. Mustard was doing all these years: forging a new identity and getting a new lady friend. I'm jealous."

|You| "Do either of you know anything about the election from last year?"

|Miss Scarlett| "Not particularly. Patti and I were best friends, but we usually did normal stuff. You know, the mall, the town lake, gossiping about perfect romance material. Besides, I'm technically not even supposed to be a senior this year. I should be ending my first year in college. I was senior class president last year. I was held back a grade. I'm not exactly happy about that."

You begin to speculate based on the peculiar information Miss Scarlett is providing.

|Mr. Green| "My film photos are amazing and Aphrodite, to be fair, you did move here in the 7th grade from that tech school. Anyhow, despite our freedom to press, Mr. Mustard asked me to burn all photos of the main election after the election scandal. But, being the loophole scoundrel I am, I was able to keep photos from the rest of the year and the pre-election where they announce their candidacies. I do forget names a lot though, and I wrote down the names of the other candidates on a piece of paper, but that too was also burned in my pile."

Mr. Green's inability to keep his answers sweet and simple, you had time to consider the previous information. You have an epiphany.

|You| "Mr. Green, I'm afraid we've run out of time. As a parting last few words, you mentioned that you carried your film portfolio with you. May I take a look at it?"

|Mr. Green| "It's going to cost you an interview with Mrs. Peacock and an advertisement page you can swipe from Mr. Mustard's eponymous and dedicated but terrifyingly legitimate album, The Mustard Show Must Go On."

You made the deal with the Devil. Maybe not the Devil, but as close as you can get other than whoever the murderer was.

You open the film photos and skim through the various club extracurricular events that occurred during the year before. Physics Club, Associated Student Body, and Theater. You notice that in each of the photos that include Patrice Brewer in the film's frame, there's always one other person with their focus always on Patti.

Two people, the same photos. You know who the murderer is.

Now, it's time to make sure they are known to the world.

***

Who do YOU think Dunnit?