Part 4: Professor Plum and Mr. Mustard

***

You consider heading back to the theatre's audience when you smell smoke. It is a faint smell, but anyone who had ever studied at the school's library until closing, driving librarians mad in the process, would know it when they took their smoke breaks outside the emergency exit door. 

The faint smell is coming from the back right of the theatre stage, towards the entrance of the stage workshop. You make the decision to walk towards the door but stop in your tracks as you are able to observe two people talking. As you peer inside the workshop through the small area of visibility available, you notice that the two people are in fact Professor Plum and Mr. Peter Mustard, a colonel and the strict headmaster of the school. Professor Plum, the dashing young professor who had begun teaching three years ago held a lighter for Mr. Mustard, who had decided to smoke under the dead batteries of the smoke alarm.

You pull out the film photo Mr. Green gave you moments ago. You flip over the photo of Mr. Mustard sitting in the audience of last year's PSA indie film, To Smoke or Not To Smoke. It would appear that Mr. Green's handwriting is worse than his memory. Rather than being shot a year ago, as Mr. Green had said, you notice that the nearly unrecognizable miniature chicken-scratch handwriting was in fact labeled for two years ago.

"Leave it to the only journalist in our school to get the dates mixed up," you say to yourself. You press your ear flat against the door and listen closely.

|Mr. Mustard| "Fancy seeing you here, Mr. Plum. I thought you would be with the rest of the audience members, working your usual Pious Plum PR-type magic."

|Professor Plum| "The police were asking if I knew Patti. They were also asking if you knew Patti and Scarlett specifically?"

|Mr. Mustard| "Patti was set to be valedictorian with a prime GPA, and ten extracurriculars, six of which she held leadership positions. She was our best student aside from the other girl, both of whom were of a previous acquaintance from clubs on campus. However, even with Patti's high accomplishments, I have had more pressing matters on my mind. Feel free to tell the police anything. I haven't anything to hide."

|Professor Plum| "I did not mention anything about the student election debacle from last year....yet."

|Mr. Mustard| "I hardly consider that will pose as a reason for murdering the poor girl. Patti was the one who was left unscathed out of the two. Besides, the whole election was unethical."

|Professor Plum| "Perhaps, but aside from the facts of the student body election, your decision to demote the poor girl a whole class level may have been a motive as to why the murder took place. Where were you before the murder? Why weren't you in one of the center seats?"

|Mr. Mustard| "Do you honestly believe that they'll suspect me over my failure to attend a film screening? I keep order in this place."

|Professor Plum| "They're going to think something is up, Peter. Along with the fact that you hadn't been involved with the film process for the third year in a row, you also weren't there during the time of the murder. There are some parents already throwing your name in the hat. "

|Mr. Mustard| "Is it really that bad that I have decided to pursue my dreams? That I've secluded to my office for parts of the year so that I may practice for my new album, the Mustard Show, must go on? Am I required to attend every event this school and town has to offer?

|Professor Plum| "None of that will matter if you don't confess everything to the police. You'll be able to continue being Sgt. Pepper in your Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band reboot cover version once more. However, that's only after you come clean -- to the police and to your date."

|Mr. Mustard| "My date? Good heavens! It would break her heart."

|Professor Plum| "She doesn't know who you are, does she?"

|Mr. Mustard| "Mrs. Veracity Peacock is a grand dame who deserves to be treated to the best. Not to the headmaster of a school who is, as you say, currently being suspected of murder."

The chatter begins to blur as you take out the second film photo. The photo of Mr. Mustard, in an unrecognizable uniform, reaching out to hold a woman's hand. You take a closer look at the woman's hand. On her right-hand ring finger you can make out the lining of a gold band with a silver and blue lining, with a shaped resemblance to that of a peacock. 

You do not hear the rest of Professor Plum and Mr. Mustard's conversation. Instead, you decide to head back into the theatre audience. 

As you enter the front of the theater audience which section do you walk towards?

***

The Options

a) To the back -- near the control booth overlooking the whole theatre

b) To the middle -- as close as you can near the scene of the crime

c) To the aisle -- where you can observe the floors

d) To the front -- where you can face the audience

***

Continue to the next chapter for the voting form.