3-Never Underestimate a Woman

Anna stormed into the office furiously. Each and every one of her coworkers stared at her as she walked with a mission, her high heels clicking against the floor rapidly with every passionate step she took. She slammed a piece of paper on Alex's desk, causing him to look up, startled and taken aback.

   "What is this?" She asked. He blinked a few times, trying to regain a resolve. He looked at the piece of paper, then back up at her.

   "I don't know Ms. Walken, what is it?" He said cheekily. She shook her head angrily, giving him a glare that told him that she meant business and that it was not a joke.

   "Don't play dumb Keaton. What do you know about this?"

   "I'm serious. I don't know what you're talking about," he said, holding his arms up in surrender. Bystanders could practically see the steam coming out of her ears.

   "Alex Keaton I have a higher status in this building then you do. So tell me, why the hell are you getting paid more then me?" She asked, crossing her arms. His eyes widened.

   "Listen to me. I don't know anything about this. I didn't know I was getting paid more then you," he said, trying to calm her down. "It's probably becau...," he started. 

   "Because what?" Anna said confidently. "Because I'm a woman?"

   "I wasn't going to say that," Alex said.

   "Then what were you going to say?" She asked. Alex was quiet. He couldn't remember the last time anyone, let alone a woman,  had silenced him so effectively. "I will have you know that I am just as powerful, if not, more powerful then every man who works here."

   "Ms. Walken what is the meaning of this?" The president of the bank's wing said. Anna pulled her hands to her side and spun around, straightening out her black pencil skirt.

"Sir, with all due respect..." she started, before getting cut off.

"If I may see you in my office," he said, gesturing towards the room. Anna took a deep breath before nodding, gathering her papers and evidence, and walking towards his office. Her posture never sunk as she attempted to seem as self-assured as possible. She sat down in his office and he followed, closing the door behind him.

"Sir I am sorry for causing a scene but I believe that..."

"You found out about your paycheck didn't you?" He asked. She nodded, confirming his thought.

"I just don't understand. I have a higher ranking. I am Vice President. He is nearly two levels below me. Why does he get paid more?" She asked calmly. The man closed his eyes and moved his chair back slightly.

"He works more hours then you."

"No he doesn't. Most days we get here and we leave at the same time," she said, sitting up straight and keeping her ankles crossed.

"I-."

"Sir, once again, this is not a battle to decide who works harder. I am sure that Mr. Keaton and I work just as hard as each other. That is not my point. My point is that at the bare minimum we should be paid the same. If not, I should be paid more. If you cannot understand that, I will pack my things and be out of my desk by the end of the day."

"Fine. I'll give you the raise," he said, and Anna nodded. She stood up, proud of herself for standing up for what she believed in, and earning it.

"Thank you for your time sir," she said as if nothing had happened, and she walked out of the room, her hair bouncing behind her. She sat down at her desk and took a drink of her coffee, before getting to work.

"Alex, did you know anything about that?" One of his coworkers whispered to him. Alex shook his head.

"I had no clue. I figured she was getting paid at least twice as much as me," he said.

"You're kidding?"

"Nope. It honestly doesn't make sense," Alex said. "I wonder what the boss said."

"Probably something dumb," another coworker said. They all laughed and got back to work.

   Anna sat at her desk, praying for the day to end. She could see the stares and hear the whispers from her coworkers. It shouldn't have bothered her as much as it did, and she tried to ignore it. Normally, when people stared at her, it was because of her accomplishments. She felt like she was in high school again. Drama, gossip, and rumors being spread. But she was no longer in high school. Now, she was in a bank office building, that had a beige color scheme for some reason, and she had just gotten herself a significant raise. She would call that, a success.