6-First Name Basis

"You mind locking the front door when you leave?" Anna's boss asked her. She nodded, answering yes to the question.

"Of course. Is anyone still here?" She asked. He pointed across the room and she turned her head to see Alex sitting down and working. She thanked her boss as he left. She continued to work, before hearing something drop. She looked over at Alex and saw that a small table's leg had collapsed, causing the table to fold onto one side. Papers and supplies fell onto the floor. Noticing Alex bending down to clean the mess up, she walked over and began to help him.

   "Sorry 'bout that," he said. She shook her head.

   "Accidents happen," she replied casually. They finished picking the stuff up and Alex screwed the leg of the coffee table back on tightly.

"There. Good as new," he said. Anna nodded, admiring their work.

"Umm. Mr. Keaton, I would like to apologize for how I acted a couple of weeks ago. About my paycheck," she said. He smiled.

"Don't worry about it. If I had been in your shoes, I would have done the same thing," he replied, forgiving her. "And for the record, I didn't know about it."

"I know. That was dumb I shouldn't have accused you," she said.

   "That wasn't dumb. You had every right to assume," he said. Anna smiled at him and went back to her work, typing and writing. For a moment, she wondered if she had misjudged this man. She walked over to the coffee pot, dwelling on how her newly ended relationship had changed her view on life. She was beginning to see that sometimes, things changed unexpectedly. That didn't, however, change how she felt about Tony's affair.

   "Coffee?" She turned around and asked him. He looked up and smiled.

   "Sure," he replied. She poured two cups and brought them over to him, pulling up a chair.

   "So what are you doing right now?" She asked him. He began to point and explain.

   "You know that couple that withdraws money everyday? I'm trying to chart how much they take out. I'm curious to see what they do with it," Alex said. Anna nodded, curious as well.

   "They probably have some sort of heist thing going on," she said, and he laughed.

"I just don't get it," he joked. She took a sip of her coffee.

"Maybe if you made a graph instead of a chart, it would give you the answer you're looking for," she thought out loud. He turned his head slightly, before beginning form a graph.

"I think you're right," he said. "Thank you."

   "Anytime," she replied, standing up and making her way over to her own desk. He checked the clock and noticed the time. "Mr. Keaton?"

   "Yes."

   "I think we've know each other long enough to be on a first name basis," she said. He looked up at her, slightly shocked, as they were professionals who worked together, but nevertheless, agreed.

   "I think we have, Anna," he said. She smiled.

   "Wonderful," she replied, clapping her hands once before getting to work. They continued with the silence for another hour or so. Alex realized the time.

"You know I can finish up your work. I'm sure your boyfriend's waiting up for you," Alex said kindly. Anna continued her work, attempting to not think about her ex.

"Well I don't really think a cheater would be waiting up," she said flatly, and Alex set his pen down.

"I am so sorry. I didn't know I shouldn't have said that," he said in an attempt to backtrack. She shook her head, her curled hair bouncing off her shoulders.

   "It's alright. I haven't really told anyone yet, so you couldn't have known," she replied, hoping it would ease his conscience.

   "I'm an idiot," he said. Anna smiled at him.

   "All is forgiven," she said. He sighed.

   "Well if you ever need anything..."

   "Thanks," she replied. He nodded, feeling bad that he had brought it up. Anna didn't mind though. It had been about a month since the incident, and even though it still hurt, and she wasn't over the heartbreak, Chloe had really helped her. Even going as far as to go pick up Anna's stuff from Tony's so her sister wouldn't have to go. But still, she was heartbroken. Anna felt guilty for staying at her sister's house for so long, but she and Matt reassured her constantly that they didn't mind.

   Later, Alex grabbed his jacket from the hanger, and turned around.

"Are you almost done?" He asked the girl. She looked up.

"Probably a few more minutes. Why?"

"Just figured I could walk you to your car. It's really late," he said. She smiled.

"I'm fine. I can handle myself. Go home," she said. He nodded.

"Alright. Goodnight... Anna," he tried. She smiled at him, giving a small wave.

"Goodnight Alex."