8-The Two Brightest Employees

"Did the boss call you in here two?" Alex whispered to Anna when he walked into the main office of the building. She nodded, confirming what he had asked.

"Yeah. Did he mention why?" She whispered back. He shut the door behind him.

"Nope." He replied. Eventually, their boss walked in, and they gave him professional smiles, still curious and hoping he would fill them in.

   "Why don't you two take a seat," he said, gesturing around the room. The two then pulled chairs up in front of his desk. "I have a proposition for you."

"We're listening," Alex said in a voice that sounded like a manager. Anna squinted at him, before returning to her normal, professional state.

"There is a bank conference in New York next month. We would love it if you two would represent our business, as I will not be able to attend," he said. Anna and Alex looked at each other.

"We would love to go sir," Anna said, speaking for the both of them.

"Wonderful. All expenses will be paid," their boss said. After a little more conversation about the opportunity, they left his office.

   "That's a win," Alex said. Anna nodded.

   "I thought I was going to be fired," she said lightheartedly. He rolled his eyes playfully.

   "Oh yes they're going to fire the employee of the month," he teased. She opened her mouth in a fake offended look.

   "You're just jealous," she said.

   "Maybe I am," he replied, making her laugh. He smiled at her.

That next month, their separate bags were packed full with clothes and supplies. The two boarded the airplane and sat down. For the first time since they had become friends, the two sat and talked for the time of the plane ride. They got to know each other better, and even though they didn't want to admit it, they thoroughly enjoyed sitting and talking with each other. By the time they walked into the New York airport, it was night. They checked into the hotel room.

   "Let's do this," Anna said, opening the room door. They walked in and set their bags on the floor. Anna sat on the bed. The motion caused the bed to bounce up and down slightly, and she immediately realized how tired she was from the long trip. Alex looked around the room, expecting to find more furniture.

   "Uh... Anna I don't know if you noticed, but there's only one bed," he said. She looked around. "I'll sleep on the floor."

   "Why would you do that? The beds big enough for two," she said nonchalantly. Alex's face twisted into a confused look.

   "It's fine. The floors good," he replied. She scooted to the edge of the bed towards the wall and patted the side of the mattress, silently telling him to sit. He sat down and the two laid on their pillows, looking at each other. They stared for a quick period of time, before Anna looked up at the ceiling, noticing a dusty fan that looked like it hadn't been used in quite some time.

   "See. Told you it was big enough," she said, and Alex laughed. They laid there for a moment, staring at the ceiling with crossed arms. Anna sat up and grabbed a small bag, taking it into the bathroom and shutting the door. Alex watched the door as she shut it, intrigued. He changed into his pajamas and grabbed his toothbrush. She walked back out wearing a large shirt and sweatpants, with her hair up in a tight ponytail. He traded her places and brushed his teeth. When he walked back in, he saw her going over the information for the conference once again.

"You know, we've been through those ten times. I don't think they need anymore editing," he said, sitting on his side of the bed and gesturing towards the papers in her hand. She looked up from the work and tilted her head slightly.

"Yeah, you're right. I just want it to be perfect," she replied with a small smile. He nodded.

"It will be. Don't worry about it," he said. She smiled and set the papers on the nightstand, tapping the sides to pull them closer together in an organized fashion. Alex moved the blanket and slid under, crossing his arms.

"It's just really important to me. That's all," she said, thinking about the hard work she had put into the report.

"Come on. We're the two brightest employees in that place. We're gonna kill this thing," he replied. She laughed.

"Goodnight Alex," she said. He turned off the lamp, leaving the room completely dark, except for the small line of light coming from under the door leading to the hallway.

"Goodnight Anna," he said, closing his eyes. After a moment of thought, he added onto it. "I like your hair like that."

"Like what?" She asked in a muffled voice due to the pillows. He smiled, knowing that she couldn't see his face turned away from her eyes.

"When it's not in front of your face," he replied, making her smile.