Chapter 7

You stumble home. Despite the headache you feel as if happiness is flying out of the tips of your toes.

You try to slip through the kitchen as quietly as you can, when your father seemingly appears out of thin air.

"And where the bloody hell were you?" he roars. "You know the rule, if you are out past eleven at night then you must text us."

You roll your eyes.

Obviously you were going to text the family group chat...

Nt cming home 2nite. Gettin fckd a bi-curious rugby lad.

...but it just slipped your mind.

You head upstairs as you dad calls after you, "If you keep this up we'll ground you for the rest of the summer!"

Once in the safety and sanctuary of your room you slip off last night's clothes and grab some new ones. You pass in front of the mirror and do a double take.

You have handprints on your hips. You want to laugh. It reminds you of school trips where people would have parties in their rooms and someone would end up with a hickey.

You check in with Joey.

He spent the entire morning throwing up.

You told him everything that happened. Almost everything. You just glossed over the sex with an audible ellipses.

"I knew it!" he shouted, before hurling up again. "Sorry, that's not because of you, that's the booze."

You meet up and go for a walk after Joey cleans himself up and gets some food into his stomach.

"Is he wanting a relationship?" Joey asks.

You shrug. You hadn't thought that far ahead. Joey continues.

"Well, a lovely summer romance is all it has to be. And may I say you have a fantastic taste in men."

You lightly punch his arm in acknowledgment.

Your phone pings.

David: Hey, I had fun last night.

David: And this morning ;)

Me: Me too. Do you want to meet up tonight?

David: Still feeling super rough.

Me: All that tequila haha.

Me: Okay, text me when you feel better.

You spend the rest of the day with Joey, helping clear up his house.

Surprisingly the house wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. Until you head upstairs and open the bathroom door.

It is a bombsite. You step forward and immediately your nostrils are assaulted by a smell that makes you balk. You cover your mouth and quickly slink away, hoping Joey could deal with that one.

Within an hour the house looks presentable enough for Joey's parents' imminent arrival.

You check your phone after you are done. Still no texts from David.

"Give him some time," Joey said, packing away the cleaning equipment. "He's a total rugby lad and has no concept of anything other than being straight. This has probably blown his mind."

David doesn't text you until two days later.

You want to arrange a meet-up outside, but instead David invites you over to his house.

He sneaks you past his parents and siblings with a simple, "He plays rugby with me," into his bedroom.

You wonder if they believed that story.

His mother is a lovely woman, slightly plump and constantly sunburnt.

His father is similar to his son; tall, stocky, but with a golden beard to go along with his hair.

David's younger sister is naturally inquisitive, never having seen you or heard David talk about you.

And his younger brother nearly caught the two of you kissing in the middle of watching a movie in David's room.

They're a lovely set of people. But the way David seems to hoard you in his room, you hardly saw any of them.

You wonder how your family would have reacted to David coming around to yours.

Your mother and father, both a knowing nod and not asking any further.

Your older brother, making snarky remarks about 'queers' and would probably ask David, "You know you are hanging around with a faggot?"

Your sister is likely a bit more understanding, but quiet, only jumping in if your brother goes too far and would lay his hands on you.

It wasn't a homophobic household, but it wasn't Stonewall either. You parents were somehow more approving of Charlie, who despite using they/them pronouns at least presented more feminine than masculine.

For about half a month, the two of you keep rendezvousing, watching films, playing games, making out when nobody's looking. David even goes down on you.

Straight rugby lad indeed.

But you start to get annoyed at the seemingly constant closed curtains and screens.

"Why don't we go outside, David? It's a lovely day."

"I just don't feel like it, that is all."

A question has been brewing in your head for a while. Fuck it, might as well ask it now.

"Are you afraid of being seen with me?"

David turns to you, shocked.

"Why would you even ask me that?"

"Answer the question."

"What is the matter?"

"Why are we sneaking around then?"

Several different questions that you should have asked.

"I just..." David starts.

He sighs and looks away. It seems you've hit a nerve.

You go to comfort him with an arm around his shoulder, but he flinches away from you. "Go. Get out. Leave."

"What?"

"You heard me, get out of here!"

He stands up, towering over you. For a few seconds you are worried that he will push or hit you.

You scramble backwards out of his door and down the stairs. Tears start to form as you race down the street.

You don't want your family to see you crying, so you text Joey and he tells you come over.

He texts Mary and Alex to come round as well, and the four of you spend the rest of the day playing games and having fun.

They distract you long enough to make you forget the shit situation that you caused.

The following morning back home, David texts you.