QueerSpace: The Stories

Last month we asked all you mothertroopers to write a drabble—that is, one hundred words exactly—about a far-future LGBTQ+ community, wherever they may be in the galaxy

We're really impressed with the showing this time around, 'troopers.

Our favourite comes from elveloy:

Brilliant light from the starlock filled the view screen, dazzling the crew for a second before Ulura adjusted the controls. Anna realised she was holding her breath. They were so close... Her first starlock, portal to the universe. The all-female crew was settling into their transfer positions, bracing for the mind-twisting experience that loomed ahead. Everyone knew that only women could travel through a starlock and come out sane, mostly. Why had she let her lover talk her into this trip?

Ulura was calling out the countdown.

"Entering starlock in three.. two..." 

She grabbed Anna's hand and grinned.

"Let's go!"

Next up is "The Curvature of Space-Time," by sleepingdraco:

"Intuitively, the curvature is the amount by which a curve deviates from being straight."

I clicked the touch screen to darken the ship's controls and leaned back against the pillow gazing languidly at my lover silhouetted against the large window. They stood peering out at the breathtaking stars. I found myself pondered the infinite possibilities as a familiar ache rose from my groin.

"So," I asked, "what shall we be tonight?"

"I'm feeling feminine," they said. 

"Sure, me too." I tapped on my wristwatch and felt my body shift. My lover joined me wrapping her tentacles delicately around me as I succumbed to her wiles. The universe behind us paled to our ecstasy.

And, finally, one from MadMikeMarsbergen:

The queer had won.

Sure, there were a few pockets of straights who lingered here and there because they chose not to have typical children. Ultimately, though, it was the queer who were perfectly designed to stave off whatever supposed species-dooming disease it was eliminating those who opted to procreate the good ol'-fashioned way.

Bishop, looking up at the stars from his Martian home, wondering if the biggest one was Earth, moved away from the window and leaned in over his son's forehead, planting a soft kiss.

Content now, he moved through the small home to rejoin his partner, Ajak.