The Contest - A Short Story by @CynkNapp

So I am doing pretty well in this streamed-content Reality Show Contest.

The second WattPad Writer's Decathlon.

Literally.. landed first place in the X-Space delivery drone obstacle challenge. Skills in vintage handheld game remotes helped me.

I ranked middle tier in social media promotion challenges. I skipped creating a book listing in the growing 'book-on-your-handwatch' media. The other contestants dubbed me 'old school' for that.

My book title was just not good fit. If you want to complete in watch-book segment, you need a title made of emojis.

I knew trying it with my book title would not be worth it.

It would be like driving to car meet with a vintage, lightened 1970 Chevy Nova with a factory matching (road legal) Chevrolet Rocket V-8 internal combustion engine. The capacitor heads would drive away laughing in their e-buggies and gyro-wheels.

Today, is the hand delivery challenge (complex and worth tons of points).

WattPad had been a force for online writers over the last several decades.

Any story to reach ten million reads was issued a prize. One share of voting preferred stock with a demand value of Ten thousand US dollars AND one crypto-currency (a Watt Medallion).

Later on that prize needed one hundred million reads to get that prize.

The crypto-currency (Watt Medallion) was considered a novelty. It is now extremely valuable.

WattPad created a small collection of Watt Medallions.

Block-chain technology meant that the originals created for the small collection bear a tracking timestamp. Transaction history is a strength and weakness in crypto-currency.

The share of preferred stock had a legal system of exchange.

The Watt Medallion was sellable anywhere in the world. Some book collectors saw it as a valuable tribute to published story.

The cryto-currency Watt Medallion drove the resurgence in reading and writing. As it grew in value, the payout was viable.

Value also carried a motivation to collect rigged readers. A solvable logistic headache and the reason ten million readers became the new limit.

Those readers had to have verified hardware MAC addresses and not virtualized systems.

In my next writer challenge, I need to hand deliver a copy on my book (Paperback hardcopy).

After peddling a solar assisted ergo-trike for my delivery, I used some EZ-Store paper napkins to clean up.

The delivery backpack opened when walked to the front door.

Unlike normal packages, my paperback was wrapped in clear plastic.

I did not have to knock. The woman came to the door.

She blinked in the sunlight as video hover-drones swung over my head.

I told her that I was the author of the book. Participating in a Writer Decathlon.

"You need to sign for the book. Andd..."

That was where suggested dialog was flashing on my sunglasses that I ought to offer to put an autograph on her copy of the book.

She just turned, thanked me, and closed the door.

I was left with a most ardent set of suggestions flashing on my sunglasses.

As it was right now, I would get zero contest points for this delivery.

It was fine by me. Some bought my book and did not care about autographs.

For me to pedal away with a smile (a smile in having met a true fan). That was going to be better for my writing than any silly contest.