Chapter Thirty-Seven (Pt. 2)

*This chapter contains multimedia relevant to the plot*

Carter left with Mike exactly ten minutes later. Mike was clinically punctual. He didn't offer any sort of comment or question when Carter told him where to drop him off either. They drove in silence, with a random radio station playing in the background. When they arrived to Carter's destination, Mike stopped the car and watched him leave.

"Do you want me to wait for you?" 

Carter shook his head. "You can go. I'll take a bus home if I have to."

Mike nodded. "Call me if you need anything."

Carter walked through the parking lot in front of the psychiatric hospital, searching the cars for the black BMW he recognized at the front. He had to wait for two whole hours before he saw Seth come out the front door of the facility. 

His friend didn't notice him at first. When Seth finally looked up, the tense look on his face melted into one of unguarded surprise. 

Carter leaned away from the dashboard of Seth's car. If it had been anyone else, they would be facing Seth's wrath for touching his car. Seth didn't mention it, though. He took out the car keys from his pocket, in silence, and unlocked the car. Carter opened the passenger's door and took a seat inside, when he saw Seth do the same on the driver's seat.

They sat in silence for a couple of seconds. Seth didn't make a move for the ignition. Before Carter could say anything, his phone buzzed and he reached into his pocket. It was his mom.

Carter pocketed his phone and looked to his left, to find his best friend's eyes trained ahead

"I'm sorry."

Seth turned his head to meet his gaze with a small frown.

Carter shrugged. "For being an idiot. For overreacting when I found out about you and Bella. For not being around since then. And before that too," he listed. "Just...for not being the greatest friend lately."

Seth's expression betrayed nothing. "It's fine," he said neutrally. "It's not your job to always be there."

Carter smiled half-heartedly. "Except it kinda is."

Seth returned that same smile. "I'm sorry too," he said. Then he clarified, "For hiding my relationship with Bella from you. And for not being the most present friend either."

Carter nodded. There were other things on that topic that Carter wanted to discuss. But some time during his two-hour waiting time, he'd decided there was something he wanted to do now. Something that took priority. Mostly because he needed to get it off his chest, and he didn't trust himself not to chicken out if he delayed it.

"It's okay," he said shakily. "Like I said, I overreacted. Especially... because... I've been keeping something from you too."

Seth didn't say anything. He didn't act shocked, or offended, or curious. He simply waited for Carter to continue.