Chapter Fifty-Four

Johnny and Lauren were the last to join them at lunch, on Monday.

Carter smiled lovingly at his boyfriend as he sat next to him, while Lauren took her usual seat next to Roy. To Johnny's surprise, Carter casually put his arm over the back of his chair, looking absent-minded. That was new, but Johnny didn't say anything. He did tell his chest to calm the fuck down, though.

"You look totally whipped," Jenna mused, giving Carter a knowing smirk. "Does that mean you two had a good weekend?" She waggled her eyebrows.

Johnny watched a pale blush rise to Carter's cheeks and smiled.

They had ended Friday night with sweet kisses and semi-innocent touches, until they fell asleep in each other's arms, only to have sex in the next morning, just before they snuggled back into one another to go back to sleep. When they finally woke up, they ordered some food and fused together again. They took a long shower after that, and tumbled back into bed together. They spend the evening watching the last season of Peaky Blinders, between some more kissing and not-so-innocent touching, then they had sex. 

On Sunday, they woke up late, but they still had time for a quick shower together, which ended up not being so quick at all, before Johnny's parents came back home.

It was safe to say they were having trouble keeping their hands off each other, after unlocking that final step in their relationship.

"He was already whipped before that," Lauren said matter-of-factly, before either of them had to reply to Jenna.

"They definitely had a good weekend, though," Bella said. "Carter was completely MIA. He only texted his mother back on Saturday afternoon, to let her know he was alive."

Carter glared at her, while Johnny laughed.

"How was your slumber party?" He taunted.

"It wasn't a slumber party," Bella growled in her stepbrother's face.

"Your sister is wild, Johnny," Jenna blurted, in answer of Carter's question. "You should really start selecting the movies she gets to watch."

"Some of the horror stuff she watches was too hardcore even for Bella," Lauren mused aloud.

That comment steered the conversation to Bella's 'girls night in'. Johnny didn't quite catch any of it though, because Carter's hand on the back of his chair fell to his shoulder and moved down to caress the top of his arm. Johnny turned his head to the side, just to check if Carter had even noticed he was doing it, and found him already looking at him with a smile.

Johnny's heart melted and he smiled back. He had stopped worrying about keeping his emotions in check around Carter, since they had confessed their feelings to each other. Now they were both a lot more open. Everywhere, expect in school. 

To his friends, Carter was Carter. Caring, loving, modest, imperfect, and in love with Johnny. To everyone else, he was still the picture-perfect, all-American quarterback. In that moment though, their dopey, loved-up, close staring might be giving them away.

"I really wanna kiss you," Carter murmured.

Johnny bit his lip. "We're very much in public," he pointed out.

"I know."

Johnny smiled. "Everyone would see," he added evenly.

"I know that too," Carter told him.

Johnny licked his lips. "And you still want to?"

Carter nodded. "Really bad," he whispered.

Johnny's chest swelled. "Then do it."