Chapter Fifty-Five

As May trudged in after April, Carter's mom started growing a baby bump behind looser blouses, and Carter started getting used to the idea of little brother. Or sister.

The days seemed to slither past their fingers. Eventually, June arrived and, with it, so did the end of the school year. Carter's mom was roughly seventeen weeks pregnant, when Carter and Bella left for a camping trip in the Everglades with the others, in the beginning of summer break. Carter couldn't remember who had the idea in the first place, or even when everyone else had agreed it was a good plan.

His spirits dropped, though, as he noticed the look on Johnny's face. His boyfriend's lips quirked up slyly and he stepped close enough to wrap his arms around Carter's waist from behind.

"What are you doing?" He asked slowly, propping his chin on Carter's shoulder.

"Setting our tent," Carter said, gesturing to the backpack on the floor. "Tony borrowed it from his brother. It's supposed to be one of those that pops open when you throw it, so you can save the skeptical looks."

Johnny's chin quaked on Carter's shoulder as he laughed. "I'm not doubting your tent-assembling skills," he said. "I'm just questioning your location selection."

Carter looked around him. Seth and Bella stood just a few feet to their side, putting together their own tent, which required a bit more of craftsmanship than Carter's 'for dummies' edition. Joey, Jenna and Mel were staying on a large, two-room tent next to them and, on their other side, rested Lauren and Roy's tent.

"What's wrong with this spot?" Carter asked, putting his hands over Johnny's, linked over his stomach.

"Just thought maybe you'd like to set our tent not so close to the others," Johnny murmured in Carter's ear. "If you know what I mean," he added in a whisper.

Carter gulped, because he thought he did know.

"How far?"

Johnny turned him around to smile at him. "How confident are you in your skills?"

Carter laughed, grabbing his backpack in one hand and Johnny with the other, and dragged them six feet away from Seth and Bella. Johnny snorted, shaking his head.

"Clearly, I have you in much higher regard than you," Johnny mused, tugging on Carter's hand until they were standing as far from everyone else as possible, without abandoning their camping site.

Carter laughed, dropping his bag on the floor. He slid his hands around Johnny's waist and let himself stay put as Johnny leaned slightly up to kiss him.

Unwillingly, Carter pulled back a little to ask, "Can you just give me a minute?"

Johnny hummed agreeably and Carter left him with his backpack, walking toward his best friend. Seth stood to the side, arms crossed, watching as Bella was crouched on the floor, holding a nail-shaped thing and a bendy plastic piece.

"How can you not know how to put together a tent?" Carter heard Bella question, just as he approached them.

Seth shrugged, arms still crossed. "I never went camping."

Bella shook her head, looking up at him. "How's that possible?"

They had probably both noticed Carter standing by, but didn't acknowledge him.

"My family trips involved holiday estates and summer resorts," Seth said through a smirk. "And lots of drunken, dysfunctional couple spats."

Bella rolled her eyes. "So did Jenna's and she put hers together." She gestured to where Mel and Jenna stood near a perfectly assembled tent.