Amada got to the cafeteria and went through the kitchen. “Hi there! Ms. Dominique sent me up here. Can I have a sausage biscuit or something?” Amada asked the woman at the cash register and computer. She nodded and went to the warmer to grab one. She gave it to Amada, and she paid 75 cents. By this time, it was third period, which was her chemistry class. She ate the sausage biscuit while she made her way to class. There was another girl in the hallway. She was at her locker. She turned around and saw Amada eating while she was walking, and she whispered, “Piggy”. Amada heard it and she stopped walking. She turned around to look at her and it was one of her tormenters since 7th grade. Her name was Abigail Sweeney.
    Whenever Amada was in 7th grade, she was 20 pounds overweight. She had gained 30 pounds over the course of 5 months. She had bronchitis twice and she got the flu from the woman at the hospital. She missed over 6 weeks of school. When she came back after the last time she was sick, there was a new kid in class. It was Abigail. Abigail was a more fortunate kid. Meaning that her family had more money than the other kids’ parents. So, she was quite spoiled and entitled. She sat behind Amada in life science. That day, Bryce told Amada everything about her. How she was rich, stuck up, entitled, etc. The next day, Abigail came to Amada before class started with her group of new friends. They started to be ‘nice’ to her. They asked her if she wanted to hang out with them during art class. She was hesitant, but she agreed. She had art class right before lunch. In art, they had a free day. Abigail and her friends were sitting beside Amada during the class and they were all silent. Amada had always loved to paint landscapes and blend colors together. So, that’s what she was doing. She was painting a beautiful sunset and the colors faded from red to orange and yellow. She had the sunset reflect off of a deep blue ocean. She had been working on it for days. It was quite impressive. Soon enough, Abigail noticed her painting and how talented Amada was, so she almost felt bad for what she was about to do. Almost.
     She purposely knocked over the water Amada was using for her paintbrushes and it flowed all over her painting, destroying it in seconds. The water dripped all over her clothes and into the floor. “Oops. Sorry,” Abigail said nonchalantly. It was obvious that she wasn’t actually sorry. The art teacher, Mr. Corderoy, got up from his desk to grab a roll of paper towels from the supplies closet. “What happened?” He asked while tearing a few paper towels off the roll. Amada looked to Abigail. “Do you want to tell him, or do you want me to?” She asked loudly, almost yelling. Abigail stood up and lifted her hands in a mock surrender. “It was an accident. I know how hard you worked on that, Amada. I’m so sorry.” “What was an accident?” Mr. Corderoy asked. “Nothing was an accident. She knocked over my cup of water on purpose!” Amada yelled. “Calm down, Amada. I’m sure that isn’t true. You’re just upset. Besides, why would she want to do that? She just met you, didn’t she?” Amada was fuming. “It’s definitely true! And she did it for the same reason that everyone in this school tortures me! Because I’m the fat girl and I don’t fit in anywhere.” Her voice got quieter as she spoke. Mr. Corderoy wrapped his arm across her shoulder and lightly squeezed her. He crouched down to her height and looked her in the eyes. “I understand you’re upset, but now you’re belittling yourself and I don’t want you to do that.” He stopped talking and looked off to the side in thought. He was silent for a few seconds until he looked back at Amada. “How about you sit in the office for a little while to cool down and think things over, hm?” Amada nodded because she knew she was probably being irrational.
     She packed up her stuff and went to the office and sat down in one of the chairs. About 15 minutes later, the lunch bell rang. Amada stood up and grabbed her bags. She was on her way out of the door when she saw Abigail. “Hey, Abigail!” She yelled. That got Abigail’s attention. Amada beckoned her with one hand. Abigail sluggishly and miserably made her way over to her. “Hey, I’m sorry I accused you of doing that on purpose. Stuff like that just happens a lot. So, uh, can I buy you lunch?” Abigail bit her lower lip thoughtfully. She didn’t want Amada to know that it was on purpose, but she also didn’t want her to think they were friends. Her first day, which was a few days ago, Amada wasn’t there because she was still sick. When Abigail heard about her, she grew curious and so she asked around. She got a bunch of people’s opinions on Amada, and no one really likes her. Therefore, she doesn’t like her either. “Ah, no that’s okay,” she said slowly. “Oh, uh, okay?” Amada said, confused. “Why was that a question?” Abigail asked. “Well, I just offered to pay for your lunch, and you turned it down. I’m just a little confused, that’s all.” Abigail thought to herself for a second about whether she should tell the truth to get Amada to stay away, or just walk away and have her think they’re ‘friendly’. “I turned it down because you were right. I knocked the water over on purpose,” Abigail said. Amada’s eyes widened. “What? Why?” “Because while you were gone, I got people’s opinions of you. No one likes you. I just wanted to give you a subtle hint to stay away from me,” she said. The second bell rang, and Abigail walked away. All Amada could do was think to herself about what she had said. No one likes you. No one knew her, so how could they not like her? But then she realized that she was different than everyone else. This school didn’t take kindly to different. No matter what she did, she couldn’t change anyone’s opinion of her. But ever since that day, Abigail tormented Amada just because of what other people thought of her.