“Hey, Amada!” She turned her head and she saw the boy she sat with on the bus. “Hey,” Amada said, growing pinker. “Hey, Trent,” Bryce said. “So, uh, I wanted to say something on the bus, but I was nervous. Uh, would you want to get food with me afterschool?” Amada tried to shape her words before saying them, but she couldn’t even say anything. So, she nodded. “Sure, yeah.” Trent was visibly happy with her answer. “Great. Meet me at the front doors after the last bell,” he said, and then walked away triumphantly. She looked to Bryce, who wasn’t very happy about what just happened. “Trent Wilson? Seriously?” Amada was snapped back to reality by his remark. “What?” Bryce sighed in frustration and disappointment. “The guy’s a player. Also, he’s never even acknowledged you until you got skinny.” Amada scoffed. “He’s the first guy to ever ask me out and now you want to ruin that for me? No one has even wanted to be seen with me,” said Amada. Bryce's eyes widened and he just looked at her. It was at that moment that he realized how unappreciated he really was. “Okay, so I don’t wanna be seen with you?” Amada realized what she said and how she said it. “I’m sorry, that came out wrong.” “Yeah, it did. Maybe you should pay attention to the people around you. Because maybe, just maybe, you might be overlooking the one person who sees you differently than people like Trent do. Trent just wants what’s in your pants and then he’ll leave you. But someone might actually see the real you. Gosh, I wonder who it might be,” Bryce said then stormed off. How could Amada not see how he feels about her?
    Bryce’s words echoed through Amada’s head for the rest of the day. She became skeptical of Trent and curious about how Bryce felt. At the last bell of the day, she met Trent at the doors. “Hey, Trent,” Amada said, bashfully. She wanted to bail on him, but when she’s around him, she goes into autopilot. She can’t think clearly. "Hey, Amada. You ready?" Amada nodded. They started to walk slowly down the concrete stairs. "Do you have a car or something? Because you took the bus this morning." Trent shook his head. "No, my brother always picks me up from school. I have my license, but I like taking the bus. I get to see my friends and make new ones." He smiled at her.
     "Amada!" Bryce yelled. She looked over her shoulder and locked eyes with him. He motioned for her to come with him. Amada looked back at Trent with a pleading expression. Trent nodded in response. Relieved, Amada walked to Bryce. "Amada, are you sure this is what you want? I just don't want your heart to be broken." Amada didn't say anything. She wasn't sure. "What exactly did you mean earlier, Bryce?" Amada knew exactly what he meant. Bryce sighed. He needed to tell her once and for all, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. "Nothing. It isn't important. Have fun on your date." And with a heavy heart, he left.