"So, Amada..." Trent's older brother, Isaac, tried to strike up a conversation. "Tell me about yourself." Amada was silent for a bit afterwards, trying to think of something to say. "Well, there isn't really much to tell." He chuckled. "Well, you can start off by telling me where you're from. I mean, only if you want to." Amada sighed lightly. "Well, I've lived in Miami all my life. I was born and raised here." Amada could see him simply nod his head in response because of the rear view mirror. Trent hadn't said a word since they got in the car. He was looking out the window blankly. "Penny for your thoughts, Trent?" He flinched when she said his name. "Oh, nothing. I'm just listening," he said with a light smile. "Are you sure?" Amada persisted. Trent nodded gently. Amada could tell something was bothering him. She looked down and saw his left hand resting on his knee. She slowly grabbed it, entwined her fingers with his, and gave it a gentle squeeze. Trent closed his hand onto hers and gave in to her affection. He turned away from her because he was turning bright red.
     "So, Isaac..." Amada started. "...where are we headed?" "I'm taking you to our house. If that's all right." Amada blanked. "Sure, but I'm gonna have to call my sister to let her know I'm gonna be home late." Isaac nodded. "Do you mind to take me home afterwards?" Isaac shook his head. "No, of course I don't mind. You're always welcome." Amada pulled her phone out of her pocket and dialed her sister's number. It rang for a little until it went to her voicemail. "Hey, Bella. I'm going out to eat with a friend, if that's alright. But I have a ride. So, give me a call back when you can and I guess I'll see you when I get home. I love you." She ended the voice recording and everyone in the car was silent. She realized Trent was still holding her hand and she grew a little pinker.
     A few minutes later Amada felt her phone vibrating in the back pocket of her jeans. She looked at the screen and saw her sister's name. "Hello?" "Hey, Amada. I'm in the hospital." Her voice was soft and raspy. "Oh, my gosh! What happened?" She raised her voice and that caused Trent and Isaac to pay attention to what was happening. "I was in a car accident. I fractured a vertebra in my lower spine." Her voice began to quiver and break. "The doctors are saying that I might be paralyzed from the waist down by the time the surgery is finished." Bella began to cry on the other end of the phone. "Bella, please don't cry. They said 'might'. It's not a guarantee." Bella sniffled. "I know but it's still terrifying to think about."
     The conversation went on for a few more minutes and Amada was able to calm Bella down. Trent and Isaac were still listening and trying to figure out what the conversation was about.