Part 2

Monty stared up at the ceiling of the bunker. He put his hands behind his head as he thought about what he was possibly going to tell Deputy Standall tomorrow. He knew he should tell him about Winston, but the thought terrified him. His dad would kill him if he knew what really happened the night Bryce died.

It was cold in the bunker and the thin green blanket wasn't keeping him warm, but it was still better than being stuck in that jail cell. He never felt safe there, especially when it got around to the other prisoners that he was a 'child' rapist. He'd tried denying it, but no one would listen.

He knew that what he did to Tyler was wrong and if he could take it back, he would. He was just so angry and he let the rage take over. He barely remembered any of it. It all seemed blurry in his mind.

Why is Deputy Standall trying to help me? Monty thought to himself.

All the thoughts that came in and out of his mind eventually slowed and he was able to get a few hours of sleep before the sound of the bunker being opened woke him up. Deputy Standall descended the ladder.

"Morning." Deputy Standall greeted him with a small smile that Monty didn't return.

Deputy Standall had a plate covered in foil in one hand and a bag in the other as he made his way over to where Monty was still laying in bed. He placed the plate on the bed next to Monty and uncovered the foil.

The mouthwatering smell of bacon and eggs made Monty sit up and begin devouring the food. He was starving after eating nothing but prison food for three days.

"Woah, slow down, kid. The food's not going anywhere." Deputy Standall joked as he sat down on the bed next to Monty.

"You ready to tell me where you actually were the night Bryce was-" Deputy Standall tried to ask, but Monty grimaced and cut him off.

"I was at Charlie St. George's place." Monty said quickly before shoving a piece of bacon into his mouth.

"You and I both know that's not true." Deputy Standall said.

Monty closed his eyes for a second, then put his now empty plate onto the floor. He rubbed his face with his hands and muttered something to Deputy Standall that he couldn't quite understand.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Deputy Standall asked as he leaned closer.

Monty's face contorted as if he was in pain when he spoke, "I was with a boy from Hillcrest. I went over to his house after the game."

Deputy Standall nodded in approval, happy that he was getting somewhere, "Do you know the name of this boy?"

"Winston Williams." Monty said, barely above a whisper.

"And if I were to talk to this Winston Williams, he would confirm you were with him?" Deputy Standall questioned.

Monty was quiet for a second. He didn't want to get Winston involved in this, but he knew that if he didn't, he might not ever be free again.

I might not ever get to see Winston again. The terrifying thought filled his mind.

"Yes." Monty sighed.

Deputy Standall stood up and grabbed the bag he came in with. He set it down by Monty and pulled out a fresh set of clothes. It was an oversized hoodie and a pair of large grey sweatpants.

"They're Peter's old clothes. I figured you probably don't want to be stuck in those prison clothes any longer. I know they might not be the same size, but at least he won't know they're missing." He laid the clothes out on the bed. Monty didn't move.

"I'll be going then. I'll be back tomorrow morning." Deputy Standall walked over to the ladder and began climbing up.

"Thank you." He heard Monty say from across the bunker.

"Of course." He smiled as he opened the hatch and climbed out.

——————————————————————————

Author's Note: Sorry this is so short! I'll try to make up for it in the next one.

Also, Winston will be in the next chapter! Yay!

Thank you for reading! :)