Part 16

Winston and Estela looked at each other, both silently thinking of how to respond to Charlie.

"How do we know you won't go and tell the others where he is?" Winston asked.

Charlie didn't answer for a moment. He tried to gather his thoughts and think of the right thing to say, "You can't know for sure, but like I said, Monty was my best friend. What he did was wrong, but I think he did it because of how lonely and angry he felt. I wasn't there for him and I just want to fix that."

"What's going on?" Diego asked, coming up behind Winston and Estela.

Winston looked around, trying to see if Deputy Standall was anywhere near them. He saw him standing with Tyler, most likely trying to convince him to not say anything that could get Monty any more time when he testified.

Winston turned to Diego, "We're gonna go visit Monty."

Diego's eyes couldn't have gone wider, "What?! With him?" He motioned to Charlie, "Deputy Standall was very clear that we-"

Winston cut him off, "I know what Deputy Standall said, but how would you feel if you couldn't see him?"

Diego frowned, "Fine. But if we get caught, I'm blaming you."

"Really, Diego? Now's not the time for that." Estela said, which caused Diego to hold his hands up in defense.

"Okay, okay, calm down. I was mostly kidding anyway." He put his arms back at his sides, "So when are we making our great escape?"

The four of them glanced back over at Deputy Standall, who was still deep in a conversation with Tyler, "We have to go when nobody's looking." Charlie said.

Diego rolled his eyes, "No shit."

"Diego-" Estela began, but stopped when Diego said a quick 'sorry'.

Winston ignored their antics and looked around at everybody else. Tony and Clay were leaning against Tony's mustang, waiting for Tyler to finish talking with Deputy Standall. Ani and Jessica had left to go back to Jessica's house. Zach, Alex, and Justin were still in Alex's room.

"We should be able to leave without anyone noticing." Winston told Charlie, Estela, and Diego, who nodded in response.

They all got into Winston's car and started driving toward the woods behind the police station. Charlie stared out the window, trying his best not to make eye contact with Diego, who was sitting next to him in the backseat.

When they arrived at their destination, Charlie immediately became suspicious, "Why are we in the woods?"

Diego had already gotten out of the car at that point, and was opening the hatch, "Did you really think Monty would just be out in the open?"

Charlie shook his head and peered into the bunker, "He's down there?"

The others nodded, which caused Charlie to back away from the opening, "Okay, someone else to down first."

Diego and Estela's eyes landed on Winston, who was already reaching for the ladder. He climbed down and was greeted with the sight of Monty sitting on his bed.

At the sound of someone descending the ladder, Monty looked over. When he saw it was Winston, he smiled, "I wasn't expecting you to be back so soon. Not that I'm complaining."

Winston walked over to where Monty was and sat down on the bed next to him. He leaned in and kissed Monty on the cheek, "I'm actually not alone."

Monty groaned, "Please tell me it's not Deputy Standall, I see enough of that man as it is."

Winston laughed, "No, it's not him. It's Diego, Estela, and someone else who just wants to fix things."

"Fix things?" Monty furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, which Winston thought was cute.

Winston smiled and ran his thumb over them, "It'll make more sense when he comes down here."

Monty leaned into his touch and began leaning in closer. Just as their lips were about to meet, Diego came down the ladder, "Hey man!"

"Hey!" Monty replied, as he immediately backed away and stood up, leaving Winston sitting on the bed disappointed.

Estela came down next and was quickly followed by Charlie, who had almost fell, since he stumbled a bit due to nervousness. When Monty's eyes met Charlie's, there was no denying his surprise.

"St. George? What are you doing here?" Monty asked him.

Charlie stared at his former best friend. He didn't think the right thing to do was to run up and hug him, even though he felt the urge to, "I, um... I heard you were alive. I wanted to see you for myself, I guess."

"Wait, you heard I was alive? Who told you that?" Monty asked.

Winston answered instead of Charlie, "We just got back from Alex's house. Deputy Standall filled most everyone in on the plan."

"Who's most everyone?" Monty wondered.

"Clay, Ani, Tony, Alex, Zach, Justin, Jessica, Tyler, and I." Charlie supplied, numbering them off on his fingers as he went.

Monty sighed and sat back down on the bed next to Winston, "Tyler's gonna fucking testify against me and I'll be right back in that shit hole."

"We saw Deputy Standall talking to him before we left. He'll probably convince him not to say anything that would get you more jail time." Diego said.

Monty shook his head, "I'm already going to get more jail time. They'll think I'm some kind of escaped convict and I might not even get a fucking trial."

"You're going to get a trial. They'll find out that you had an alibi and Alex will confess." Winston began rubbing his back in a soothing motion. Monty quickly made to move away from him, which Charlie noticed.

"Dude, you really don't have to worry about that." Charlie motioned to them, "I mean, no one really cares about it anymore."

Monty glanced up at him, before burying his head in his hands, "Someone cares. Someone who I'm going to have to face at the trial." He paused, "If I even have one."

"Who?" Winston asked.

Monty looked up at him, with tears beginning to shine in his eyes, "My dad."

——————————————————————————
Author's Note: Poor Monty... Sometimes I just want to reach through my screen and give him a hug :(

Seems like we're getting closer and closer to the trial...

Thank you for reading this chapter! :)