Part 17

As Winston looked into Monty's tear filled eyes, he had never felt more powerless. There was so much he wanted to do, but couldn't. Winston longed to protect him and keep him as far away from his father as possible.

Winston felt the strong urge to just hold him in his arms and never let him go, but he didn't, because he knew Monty wasn't ready for that. At least not in front of people. Winston didn't know what else to do besides sadly nod at him.

No one responded to what Monty had said. Diego awkwardly shuffled over to him and placed a, what he hoped would be comforting, hand on his shoulder.

"We're all going to be there for you, you know that." Estela said as she came over and sat beside Monty, on the opposite side of Winston.

Monty huffed, "Yeah, I might have you three, but everyone else in the world is against me."

"I'll be there." Charlie said, tentatively.

Monty looked up at him, "You? Really? The one who planted fake evidence in my gym locker?"

Charlie shook his head, "I didn't do that."

Monty gave him a questioning glance, "You didn't? Why? Wouldn't you have been protecting all your little friends if you did?"

Charlie looked at the ground, "I didn't do it because I cared about you. I still do."

"Why? I'm a terrible person." Monty said.

"I don't believe that. Sure, you fucked up, but that doesn't mean you deserve to framed for murder."

Monty shrugged, "Maybe I do deserve-"

Charlie cut him off, "You don't."

Monty didn't respond, he only shook his head and stared at the ground. A few seconds of silence passed between them all, before they were alarmed by the sound of Charlie's phone beeping.

"Oh shit." Charlie cursed, which caused everyone to look over at him.

"What is it?" Winston asked.

Charlie looked up from his phone screen, "Jess just texted me. Alex is going in to confess, like, right now."

"Which means..." Diego trailed off and turned to Monty, who's face had gone pale.

Monty let out a shaky breath, "I have to go back to the police station." He recalled from the plan.

Winston, Estela, Diego, and Charlie all looked at each other, unsure of what to say.

"Estela's right, we'll all be there for you. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, all that matters is the truth, alright?" Winston said as he placed his hand under Monty's chin in order to get him to face him. Monty was too nervous to pull away or worry about what the others would think. He only stared forward into Winston's expressive eyes and eventually, he nodded and stood up.

The five of them quickly made their way out of the bunker. Monty squinted when he made it to the surface, since he hadn't seen any sunlight in days.

Winston reached into his coat pocket and tossed Diego his keys. Diego caught them and climbed into the driver's seat as Charlie hopped in the passenger seat. Estela and Winston crammed into the back on either side of Monty.

Monty's heavy breathing filled the silence during the drive. It was clear he was terrified, even though he tried not to show it. Winston saw through it, however, and reached over to grab one of Monty's hands, while Estela leaned her head on her brother's shoulder.

Monty looked down at he and Winston's interlocked hands. Although there were other people in the car, he made no move to take his hand back. He tightened his grip around Winston's fingers and continued to stare down at them until they arrived at the police station.

It, of course, was a very short drive, since the woods were just a few blocks away from the police station. There were more cars in the parking lot than usual, which meant that Alex and the rest of the paranoid group must have already arrived.

Diego stopped the car and turned around to look at Monty, "Are you ready?"

"How could anyone be ready for this?" At Monty's words, Winston pulled Monty's hand up and pressed his lips to it.

"Can I have a minute alone with my brother?" Estela asked. Winston, Diego, and Charlie all nodded and got out of the car.

Estela wiped away the tears that were beginning to form in her eyes and pulled Monty into a hug. It was a bit of an awkward angle, considering they were still in the car, but they managed to make it work.

"I love you, Monty." Estela said through her sniffling.

"Me too." Monty replied, trying his best not to let his emotions get the best of him.

When they finally let go of each other, Monty hesitantly opened the door. He stepped out and saw Winston, Diego, and Charlie waiting by the curb.

Monty walked up to them and tried to find the right words to say, but ultimately he couldn't. He muttered a quick 'bye' and began walking toward the  front entrance.

Estela had attached herself to Diego and was quietly sobbing into his side as he kept a comforting arm around her. Charlie kept glancing around, looking for any signs of the paranoid group or Deputy Standall. Winston just stared forward, watching the person he cared about more than anyone walk away from him.

Monty had just reached the doors, when he glanced back at them. He frowned, knowing that this could possibly be the last time he'd get to do this. He ran back to Winston.

Winston stared at him in both confusion and shock, but didn't have much time to think as Monty's arms were suddenly wrapped around him tightly.

Winston's arms were trapped under Monty's, but he still tried his best to return the embrace. Monty buried his face into Winston's hair and breathed in deeply. Then without a word and as soon as he was there, he was gone again.

Winston, Estela, Diego, and Charlie watched him disappear into the police station. They saw the woman working at the front desk immediately call for help. They saw two men in police uniforms grab Monty by the arms. And finally, they saw Monty being put into handcuffs as he was taken back into the station.

——————————————————————————
Author's Note: There's probably going to be two or three more chapters after this!

Thank you for reading! :)