1~Drowning~1

"We went surfing and then I wound up here."

"Surfing in that outfit is just begging for hypothermia."

Verena didn't know what was going on

She knew that the water had turned so cold that it had started to burn and her two piece bathing suit was doing nothing to keep her warm. She knew she had lost her grip on Kalypso at some point during the battle with the current and she knew that no matter what, she had to keep swimming for the surface.

She had read before that sirens were caused by drowning women who's broken melancholic voices turned raspy from the saltwater they swallowed in their struggle to the surface.

She went to tell her sisters immediately.

Kalypso had laughed and with her dark humor corrected, "Human instinct is so strong that you won't swallow water until after you black out. Essentially your body gives up on living before you do." And with that she turned back to her book scribbling away.

Freya however wrinkled her nose and held up a soccer ball. "Come on Ren. Let's go play!"

It seemed Kalypso was right as Verena was holding her breath for so long that her head felt like it was gonna pop. Then, when it seemed that her body was gonna give up, her hand broke the surface and she lifted her head above the water letting out the loudest, clearest scream she could.

"Help!"

~~~~~~~~~

Many things scare Kalypso.

Large crowds.

Thunder.

Spiders.

People who are taller than her... which is a lot of people for the 5'2 foot tall sixteen year old.

But nothing could scare her more than the thought of losing her sisters. In fact she'd rather die than have to handle the loss of either of them.

When she felt her sisters small fingers slip from her grasp it was like the ocean suddenly grew dark and her lips parted, a silent scream lost to the water and the salt stings her throat.

She briefly remembers her little sister's fact about sirens and realizes that Verena's source must be based in fact after all.

The current pulls Kalypso turning and spinning her rapidly. It's only when she surfaces that she realizes three separate facts.