Fifteen

Minerva was calmly sitting in her office, marking essays, when Horace's Patronus soared into the room. She stared at it for a second, wondering what was so urgent that Horace had to send a Patronus rather than come himself. Then the Patronus spoke.

"Get all students locked in their dorms. Remus didn't take his wolfsbane tonight and he's not in his private quarters. We have a werewolf on the loose." Minerva dropped her quill as the message ended, before transforming into her animagus and running from the room. She headed to the library first, checking to make sure that there weren't any students working in there. Luckily, there wasn't. She bolted to Gryffindor Tower, passing Filius, Horace and Pomona as she went. Thankfully, she didn't come across any students.

She reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, transforming back to human as she came to a stop. She hurriedly said the password, almost running through the portrait as it swung open. The common room was just over half full and she quickly scanned the room, taking note of who was there.

"Can someone get anyone who is in their dormitory down here. If they are asleep get me their names. We are having an urgent house meeting." 10 people nodded, hurrying up the stairs to their respective dorms. About 10 minutes later, a flood of people came down both sets of stairs, taking seats all around the common room and looking straight at her, looks of confusion evident on many faces. She could understand their confusion though, especially the seventh-years. She only called emergency house meetings when something was extremely wrong; the last time she had called one was when Ginny had been taken down to the Chamber of Secrets.

"Who are we missing?" she asked. A few names were mentioned, mainly first or second years who were already asleep. She looked around, making sure that everyone who was here during the holidays was accounted for, asleep or in the common room. It didn't take long before she realised that one of the repeating seventh years was missing. She would deal with Harry Potter after she made sure the rest of her house was safe.

"What's going on Professor?" Minerva looked over to who had asked, noting that it was Hermione Granger. She also noticed that Hermione didn't seem worried about her friend's absence.

"I needed to make sure that you were all in here and safe. As soon as I leave, the common room is going to be locked and none of you are to leave until I come back and tell you that it is safe to do so. There is a dangerous problem that we have to deal with, and first we need to make sure you all are safe. And no, none of you can come help," Minerva added, seeing some of the seventh years begin to open their mouths.

"How long do you think it will take to deal with, Professor?" She looked over to Dennis Creevey and sighed slightly.

"We are unsure how long it will take, but everything should be fine by midday tomorrow, at the latest," she answered slowly. She honestly had no idea how long it would take to find a rouge werewolf or what they could do. Add to that that she didn't know what time the moon had risen or what time it would set, and she couldn't even estimate a time.

"You are all free to go back to whatever you were doing. I suggest you go to sleep soon, however, and try not to worry too much about what is going on outside these walls. Miss Granger, Mr Weasley, a word." All around her students nodded, some heading back up to their dormitories while others turned back to their books or work. Ron and Hermione weaved their way through all the tables, chairs, and other students to reach her.

"Yes Professor?" Hermione asked.

"Do you know where Mr Potter is?" Ron and Hermione exchanged a look before turning back to face her.

"He's in his room Professor," Hermione answered slowly. Minerva narrowed her eyes slightly before answering.

"What do you mean Miss Granger. He did not come down and it was not said that he was asleep."