[ 07 ]

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐋𝐘𝐍 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐖 𝐉𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐂𝐀 𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌. The managing partner wondered if Harvey had let her know that she'd be making an acquaintance with her but soon noticed Marilyn's phone on her vanity table and realised that the anchorwoman was automatically prepared for lawyers, no matter what had happened between her and Harvey the night before. Jessica almost smiled once her eyes locked with Marilyn's ice blue ones but refrained, noting that she was here with a job, not as a friend.

It had been over a decade since she too had seen the now-successful news anchor. Nothing had really altered within Marilyn's appearance, except that her eyes seemed more blue than ever before, but it was clear that her life had drastically changed. Jessica was always one to identify a hard worker, exactly like how she'd recognised Harvey's potential, and knew that Lynn was a sufficient counterpart for the infamous closer; so she wasn't sure how to react to Marilyn's hectic journey. Of course she'd expected that the girl would make a name for herself, but she also hadn't suspected that she'd be centre in a ruthless crossfire of loyalty and feminism.

"Marilyn, long time no see," she began gently, accepting that Marilyn was on edge at the sight of her. It was true that she had come with intention of discovering the truth, but she wasn't here for an interrogation, either. That would all depend on how easily Marilyn gave her access to the real activities that went on within the building. It was a shame that she almost pitied her, because Marilyn was not one for pity, but Jessica couldn't help it, recalling how awful it had felt when Daniel Hardman had attempted to snatch her firm from her hands.

Whilst it may not have seemed similar, Jessica understood that Marilyn and Jonathan were counterparts as much as her and Daniel were. There was an overwhelming sense of reliability there, since Jonathan relied on Marilyn to carry the news network that he was in charge of and she relied on him to act sensibly and keep her in a job. It had been the same for Jessica, having relied on Daniel to act wisely (which he hadn't, much like Jonathan) as he relied on her to carry the firm with his name on it. She knew how it felt to have a white man with what felt like more power, exert intimidation and make life a living hell.

"Hi, Jessica," Marilyn responded, a great weight to her words as she entered, gesturing for the lawyer to take a seat on the white leather couch that was hidden in the corner of the space. She chose to close the door, which Jessica internally appreciated, realising that whatever she'd gain would be without Jonathan's knowledge. She knew that as her superior, Jonathan was likely to have a hold over what Marilyn said, yet she didn't know where Marilyn stood on the case entirely. It was more of Marilyn's mindset that she hoped to find out, rather than a drastic reveal. "How are you?"

"I'm not here for a catch up," Jessica declared, deciding that getting too personal and lost within the past would be of no benefit to her. Lips pursed, Marilyn nodded, admiring the blunt attitude of the woman in front of her - at least everything would be laid on the table, this way. Instead of sitting herself next to Jessica, Marilyn recognised the formality of the situation and sat opposite, instead, upright in her stylist chair.