7: Non-existent Crushes - And Some Real Ones

Neither Mr Weasley nor Percy was at home much over the following week. Both left the house each morning before the rest of the family got up, and returned well after dinner every night.

Of course, Percy was seething at the prospect of Y/N L/N spending a week in his home, but he was away so often he couldn't exactly do anything about it.

Y/N had already sent a letter to Annie, giving her a small insight on what had happened, as well as Ellie's condition. At first, Annie had demanded that Ellie be brought back to the Orphanage at once, however after a quick argument with Y/N she begrudgingly agreed that the best place to get treatment was with a wizarding family. A Muggle hospital wouldn't be able to do much about her condition.

Ellie had stayed asleep for almost two days, and when she had finally woken up she didn't complain about spending the next week with the Weasleys. Whenever she wasn't with Y/N she would follow either Bill or Mrs Weasley around like a lost little puppy. Mrs Weasley, motherly as she always was, had no problem with it at all. In fact, she treated Ellie as though she were a part of the family, similar to the way she did with Harry or Hermione.

Everyone besides Percy loved having Ellie around. Over the next few days her condition improved, and she slowly started becoming her cheery self once again. Even Mr Weasley, who had been sceptical around her at first, quickly warmed up to the little blonde.

When she had first awoken, she would flinch at even the slightest use of Magic in the Burrow, from Breakfast cooking on it's own to the small explosions coming from Fred and George's room. However, over time she grew used to the chaos of the Weasley household, and on the Sunday evening before September 1st, she was as good as new, which was a reminder of Ellie's unexpected and unforgettable strength.

They were currently in the living room, and Mr Weasley had just returned from work, looking completely exhausted.

"Well, the fat's really in the fire now," he told Mrs Weasley as he sat near the fire and toyed unenthusiastically with the tray full of food Mrs Weasley had set for him. "Rita Skeeter's been ferreting around all week, looking for more Ministry mess-ups to report. And now she's found out that poor old Bertha Jorkins going missing, so that'll be the headline in the Prophet tomorrow. I told Bagman he should have sent someone to look for her ages ago."

"Mr Crouch has been saying that for weeks and weeks." said Percy swiftly.

"Crouch is very lucky Rita hasn't found out about Winky," said Mr Weasley irritably. "There'd be a weeks worth of headlines in his house-elf being caught holding the wand that conjured the Dark Mark."

"I thought we were all agreed that that elf, while irresponsible, did not conjure the Mark?" said Percy hotly, throwing Y/N a suspicious and accusatory look. Y/N simply continued reading his book.

"If you ask me, Mr Crouch is very lucky no one at the Daily Prophet knows how mean he is to elves!" said Hermione angrily.

"Now, look here, Hermione!" said Percy. "A high-ranking Ministry official like Mr Crouch deserves unswerving obedience from his servants -"

"His slave, you mean." said Y/N coolly, looking up from his book. "Winky was never paid, was she?"

"I think you'd all better go upstairs and check that you've packed properly!" said Mrs Weasley, breaking the argument. "Come on, now, all of you..."

Y/N tucked his book under his arm and went upstairs with Harry and Ron. Ellie, Hermione and Ginny retreated up to Ginny's room. Pigwidgeon began twittering and zooming around his cage again when they entered. The sight of the half-packed trunks seemed to have sent him into a frenzy of excitement.