34: Denial

"The wands connected?" Sirius said, looking from Harry to Y/N to Dumbledore. "Why?"

Professor Dumbledore, Y/N, Harry and Sirius were all residing in the welcome aura of Dumbledore's office. Harry was in the middle of a deep explanation regarding the ordeal of the graveyard, and the return of Voldemort. Despite the warm glow of comfort that the familiar rounded office gave off, it was clear that Harry remained under a state of distress and trauma. While he retold the events, Y/N sat still in his chair, barely saying a word. Nevertheless, Harry did a good job of explaining up till the point where he mentioned the curious phenomenon that had taken place between the respective wands of Harry and Lord Voldemort, where Sirius had interrupted.

In response to Sirius' outburst, Harry looked up at Dumbledore, on whose face there was an arrested look.

"Priori Incantatem," he and Y/N muttered at the same time.

"The Reverse Spell effect?" said Sirius sharply.

"Exactly," said Dumbledore. "Harry's wand and Voldemort's wand share cores. Each of them contains a feather from the tail of the same phoenix. This phoenix, in fact," he added, and he pointed at the scarlet-and-gold bird, perching peacefully on Harry's knee.

"My wand's feather came from Fawkes?" Harry said, amazed.

"Yes," said Dumbledore. "Mr. Ollivander wrote to tell me you had bought the second wand, the moment you left his shop four years ago."

"So what happens when a wand meets its brother?" said Sirius.

"They will not work properly against each other," said Dumbledore. "If, however, the owners of the wands force the wands to do battle...a very rare effect will take place. One of the wands will force the other to regurgitate spells it has performed - in reverse. The most recent first...and then those which preceded it...."

He looked interrogatively at Harry, and Harry nodded.

"Which means," said Dumbledore slowly, his eyes upon Harry's face, "that some form of Cedric must have reappeared."

Harry nodded again.

"Diggory came back to life?" said Sirius sharply.

"No." said Y/N.

"No spell can reawaken the dead," agreed Dumbledore heavily. "All that would have happened is a kind of reverse echo. A shadow of the living Cedric would have emerged from the wand...am I correct, Harry, Y/N?"

Y/N nodded firmly. "Wasn't quite alive, wasn't quite dead."

"He spoke to me," Harry said. He was suddenly shaking again. "The...the ghost Cedric, or whatever he was, spoke."

"An echo," said Dumbledore, "which retained Cedric's appearance and character. I am guessing other such forms appeared... less recent victims of Voldemort's wand...."

"An old man," Harry said, his throat still constricted. "Bertha Jorkins. And..."

"Your parents?" said Dumbledore quietly.

"Yes," said Harry, while Y/N nodded.

"The last murders the wand performed," said Dumbledore, nodding. "In reverse order. More would have appeared, of course, had you maintained the connection. Very well, Harry, these echoes, these shadows... what did they do?"

Harry described how the figures that had emerged from the wand had prowled the edges of the golden web, how Voldemort had seemed to fear them, how the shadow of Harry's mother had told him what to do, how Cedric's had made its final request.