19: New Solutions

Y/N rolled up the finished letter and bound it with a single piece of string, and then pocketed his F/C quill.

He had woken up early and had only just finished writing up his report to Sirius. He had explained exactly what had happened to Harry during the first task and the new complications that had been sprung since he had fallen into coma.

Y/N crossed the school corridors and went up to the Owlery, where Hedwig was perched on her usual pole. Her head was drooped and her shoulders sagged. She had been extremely depressed since the first task, and refused to send any letters for anyone until Harry was fully conscious.

Y/N outstretched a concerned hand to her, which she ignored, shuffling herself away from him. Not taking no for an answer, Y/N reached out further and gave the snowy bird a playful poke. She gave a very human-like huff and opened her wings, taking off and landing onto a higher pole, away from his reach.

"Being all moody isn't going to improve his situation, you know," he said to her. She did not respond. With her back facing him, she appeared to be uninterested in what he had to say. "You still haven't seen him yet, you know. It's not as bad as it seems. He's just sleeping."

No response.

Y/N gave a sigh, giving up on trying to talk to the stubborn owl. He tied the letter he had written around the leg of the nearest school barn owl. With a chirpy hoot, it outstretched its brown wings and took off out of the window.

Just as he was about to leave, he turned back and faced Hedwig again.

"I'm actually going to visit him now. There's still an hour till lessons start, you're free to join me of you want."

There was still no response from the owl. She gave no indication that she even heard him. Without another word, Y/N turned to leave.

The sound of beating wings suddenly rang through Y/N's ears, and a heavy mass landed onto his shoulder. He turned his head to see Hedwig perched on him, not making eye contact. Almost as though she was embarrassed that he had managed to tempt her.

"Knew you'd agree in the end." said Y/N, giving a sort of lazy half-smirk.

With Hedwig perched on his shoulder, Y/N crossed the empty hallway (even the portraits were still asleep), and jogged down the moving staircase to the hospital wing.

Harry was there, silent and unmoving atop his bed, but someone else was there, too, sitting on a chair opposite the comatosed boy. The visitor had his hands clasped in front of him and an expression of utmost sorrow etched on his freckled face.

"Ron?"

The visitor jumped.

"Bloody hell!" exclaimed the familiar red-head, looking up and seeing Y/N and Hegwig standing at the door. "You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

Y/N gave him an extremely unimpressed look.

"What are you doing here?" Ron said, shifting his eyes from Y/N to Hedwig. "And why is Hedwig with you?"

Y/N pulled up a chair next to Harry's bed. Hedwig flew off from his shoulder and landed on the railing of Harry's bed, her large eyes staring at his unmoving form with concern, letting out a heartbroken little hoot. "I talked Hedwig into coming to see him," said Y/N monotonously. "It's been two days since the first task, and she's been too upset and scared to come and visit."

The silence that followed after that was extremely awkward. Ron kept shifting uncomfortably in his seat and fidgeting with his fingers. He avoided eye contact with Y/N, who wondered whether Ron's odd behaviour was due to him feeling ashamed of himself for his recent actions, or whether he was just rather scared of the fact that Y/N was in the room.