Zombieland - Chapter 2

Two hours on schedule I arrived at Flagstaff.

It was in bad shape.

Most of the houses were a rather run down and unkept. Windows were smashed, doors broken down, even a few roofs had holes or had caved in slightly.

The area was deserted, besides the occasional zombie wandering through splattered with the dried blood of its victims. I decided it would be best to stay overnight in house that was elevated and close to the mountains. It would delay the journey to Kansas, but it would be better than waking up with a zombie chewing on your arm.

I drove for a while until a came to a house atop a hill. It was very large and expensive looking. I jumped out of the car and approached the massive black gates which were locked. But the cars in the driveway were gone, which means whatever richie rich's had stayed here had taken precaution and fled. Probably in their little helicopter on the expensive little helipad.

Marching up the pad on the pillar next to the gate, there was a code to enter to unlock the gate. Good thing in all my time I'd made some good friends with thieves and knew a trick or too.

Removing the cover on the pad, I inspected the wires underneath. It was a lot less complicated than I expected it to be. I rearranged and pulled apart what was necessary until a whining noise startled me and the gate unlocked itself.

I grinned satisfactorily, got back in the car and drove the car up the driveway and into one of the several free spaces. Making sure the gate behind me closed and locked itself again, I headed up the tiled front steps and inspected the front door.

It was unlocked.

Nudging the door open I fished out the gun in my jeans pocket and held it at the ready.

"Hello?" I called out, taking a few cautious steps onto the polished wooden floor. My old navy converses squeaked.

There wasn't a sound in the house, and by now a zombie would've made themself known. Didn't mean there wasn't some other gang hiding out, so I kept my gun at the ready but relaxed a bit.

Making my way around the house I took in my surroundings and chose a suitable room to sleep in. It was a beautiful large suite with a carpeted creme floor and large white drapes over the bed.

I pranced into the loungeroom and gazed in awe at the art decorating all the walls of the house. I had never been in such a wealthy home, seen such beautiful incredible things. I headed down the stairs excitedly to the pool and gazed upon the beautiful sparkling water.

My grotty reflection gazed back at me and instantly ruined the moment. I scowled. I was a mess, having not bathed in 3 days. My dark once silky hair was tangled and matted, my face was grotty and dusty and my big green eyes were tired and anxious.

Suddenly a thought occured to me. No one else was here. And there was a pool. A quick little skinny dipping bath wouldn't hurt anyone, would it?

I grinned and stripped quickly, remembering the last time I had had fun like this. It was with my boyfriend, Pedro, at his uncles place one night. I refused to let the thought of him recieving a sentence for theft and being taken from me taint the memory. At least he would be safe, in a prison, from all this madness.

Diving head first into the water, the cool sensation enveloped me and I felt a rush spread through out my body. It was so fresh, so clean, so wonderful.

"Urgh," I moaned, floating to the surface, shaking my hair. It was like one of those ads where suddenly my hair was magically rejuvinated by some ridiculous shampoo that only worked as well as any.