Zombieland - Chapter 3

My eyes flickered open and my eyes stung as the blinding rays of light snuck through the blinds and rested across my face and quilt.

I grunted and pushed myself up, and my surroundings began to spin. Suddenly a cool washer was placed upon my forehead and a figure perched by my side.

"Easy, easy, easy," he urged, pushing my head softly back down to the sanctuary of the pillow.

"What happened?" I groaned, "I can't remember." Tyler swallowed.

"The milk, in the fridge, it was off. I didn't realise, I'm so sorry." I forced a smile.

"It's alright, it was just a mistake." He left the cloth, stood up and made his way over to a large jar with chopped lemons, ice cubes and a mellow clear liquid. Pouring a glass, he came back over and sat beside me.

"Drink this," he said softly, placing his hand behind my head and raising it slightly to drink. The fresh ice water revived me and I suddenly felt cleaner and more relaxed than I had in a long time.

"Oh my god, what is in that? Besides water and lemons?" I inquired.

"Family's secret recipe ingredient," Tyler grinned.

Smirking, I took another long gulp and exhaled deeply after I forced myself from the water.

"Drink later, leave now," I said, rolling out of bed.

"Woah, woah, I don't know if you're in any condition to travel at-"

"We leave now," I stated firmly. He sighed, and then nodded.

"Alright. Well all your stuff is still in your car, so we need to move it to one of my parents. No offence, but there's runs better and faster."

"None taken, that's true. I've been dying to get rid of that piece of junk for years. I love ol' Sally but it's her time alright," placing my hands on my hips and squinting through the blinds to spot the car.

"Sally?"

"My car."

"I got that, but why Sally?"

"There was this girl in highschool...Don't worry, it's a story for another time."

"Alright, do I want to know?"

"Maybe."

"Okay then."

We smiled at each other. The Sally Story, as I called it, was very humorous.

"Ok if we're going to leave, we have to do it now. The sun's almost down and I'm sure you're well aware of how they become hungrier at night," Tyler urged, struggling to keep the nervous edge from his voice.

"Yeah I've noticed. Let's get started then," I replied.

He packed the basics- more food from the pantry, medicine, water, his clothes. Meanwhile I went down to the car and moved my own stuff to a black cadillac SUV. It looked a lot like those cars the FBI drove around in; maybe it was.

"Alright I have everything. SUV, good choice," Tyler commented, hauling his bag down with maximal effort with a poor attempt at keeping the waging battle of the weight of it from his face.

"Do you, uh, want some help with that?" I offered.

"No no no no no," he said hurriedly, "It's fine, it's fine." He chucked it into the boot of the car and whiped the perspiration from his forehead.

"What the hell do you have in that, a body?"

"No," he snapped defensively.

"Wow, okay, sorry," I smirked, heading around to the front of the car and hopping in the passenger seat. Tyler placed himself behind the wheel...and just sat there. We sat there for about 30 seconds, when he raised his hands slowly to the wheel, then hesitated and pulled back.