Zombieland - Chapter 4

"Nice one, you idiot!" I snarled at Tyler.

"How should I have known the car was still even working! It looked like it hadn't seen a road in 100 years!" Tyler snapped back.

"You should've at least checked, taken some form of precaution! Now because of you, we're going to be killed!"

"Me!? I'm not the one who panicks when she gets a little too close to one of them! And you're the one who's been out her a hell of a lot longer than I have!"

"At least I don't hide away from the light of day and actually had the guts to step out into the real world and try and do something about this whole shitstorm!"

"HEY!" Boomed a man's voice through a megaphone, "Are you dumb asses going to stop your bitching and get through all these snappers, or are you going to continue with your little rants while you're being eaten alive!?"

Me and Tyler froze and scanned the area panickedly. Outside the chain link fence where two vehicles that had just pulled up. One was a large dirty blue van with the windows blacked out, and the other a grey truck with a man standing on the boot yelling at us through his megaphone.

Five more people emerged from the two vehicles, three women and two men, all carrying large guns and weapons.

One of the men kicked open the gate again and they all began to fire at the walkers, making a clear path through the junkyard.

"Move, through the clearing now! We can't hold them off for much longer!" The man commanded.

Me and Tyler slid down the piles of junk immediately. A walker almost grabbed him, and for a minute I was tempted to let it get him, before I came to my senses and bashed it's skull in with a few good blows.

We finally reached the bottom, and sprinted towards the kind strangers who had risked their lives to save us.

"Go, go, go!" roared one of the women.

We sprinted through the fence, and the man with the megaphone yelled at us to jump in the boot as he made his way to the wheel of the truck. The five with the weapons ran from the junkyard, and one of them shot two more before closing the gate tight and locking it with a new lock.

They were in the seats in the cars and we took off suddenly, nearly sending my flying off the edge.

"To keep them in," I panted.

"What?" Tyler frowned, breathing heavily as well.

"The dead. The lock wasn't from the guy with the uniform to keep the dead out, it was to keep the dead in. It must've been from these guys. Or someone else."

I slunched and sucked in deep breaths. The heat wasn't exactly helping either.

~

"Rick," the man who had been commanding us from the megaphone said, holding out his hand to me, "Rick Hirkson."

I shook it and nodded.

"Bonnie," I smiled.

"Got a last name there, Bonnie?" he inquired, helping me down from the boot. It felt good to have my feet placed firmly on the ground.

"I did." Rick nodded in return.

"We can't thank you enough," gasped Tyler, jumping down from the truck, "I'm Tyler, by the way. Tyler Lordell."

As soon as Tyler hit the ground and I slapped him clean across the face. He just stood there, stunned.

"You nearly got us killed. Thank the freaking lord these good people happened to be passing by," I hissed.