Zombieland - Chapter 6

I stared at my bowl of porridge blankly.

"You right, there?" Janette asked sweetly.

"Yeah," I replied mindlessly, my eyes still glued to the sticky, gooey mess.

"Let me know if you need anything," Janette smiled, trying to keep the look of strange concern off her face. She got up from one of the logs we were sitting on that surrounded the fire under a tree, and headed over to start the washing.

I'd had another nightmare last night.

My sister's, Dakota and Elle, were being pulled from a building by the walkers through the windows, and out of my grasp; and there was nothing I could do about it. I kept trying to pull them back to me, but my hands kept slipping, and finally they were gone. Then I was just left there in the run down apartment building by myself, screaming and sobbing on the floor.

Tina woke me this time bursting into my tent with her gun, hearing the screams in my sleep and thinking I was being attacked. She had obviously confided in Janette that there was something up with me, and Janette had been playing babysitter making me breakfast and keeping an eye on me this morning.

I wish Hugo had come in though. But we haven't spoken in two days.

I don't know if he's angry at me, or upset, or still horrified at his sister and the monstrosity she's become.

Maybe all three.

"Bonnie, you right to go on look out with me?" Justin asked, coming up to me with a huge machine gun slung over his shoulder. I don't what gave Rick the idea to trust a 17 year old boy with one. Yeah, I was only two years older, but this kid probably used to still play COD and skateboard.

I nodded, slowly placed my porridge down, and stood up. Then I was just standing there.

"Uh...Bonnie? You okay?" he asked, tapping my shoulder.

"Uh, yeah," I stammered, rubbing my face and following him to the tower. "Get your head in the game," I mumbled to myself. Suddenly a playback of Zac Efron from High School Musical dancing to that song Get your head in the game, while they're all bouncing basketballs around and singing like pansies came into my head. I groaned.

"Are you sure you're okay? You can sit this one out if you want," Justin offered.

"No, I'm fine, I just hate High School Musical."

Justin looked at me quizzically then we continued on our way. Finally we were at the top of the tower, and I could relax. Just as I took my seat, a horrible hacking cough racked my body.

"Jesus Lord, Bonnie, you sound bad. What's wrong?" Justin asked, moving a little further away.

"Relax, I'm not bit," I gasped, trying to ignore the painful constriction in my throat. A sweat suddenly broke out across my forehead. "I don't have asthma though, so I must've caught something."

"And you got yourself a nasty fever," Justin observed, placing his hand across my hand. "We gotta get you to my mumma and the Hirkson's. They'll know what to do."

"It may just be a little cold or-" Suddenly the cough came again, racking my body even more violently then before and giving me a nasty shiver afterwards.

"Let's go." Justin swung his rifle around the back of his shoulder on it's strap and began to ease me towards the door and the ladder. Something moved out of the corner of my eye.

"Wait," I said turning, squinting through the lookout. There, stumbling towards the perimeter, was a dead man.

"Shoot that one before we go down," I urged. Justin nodded, swung his rife back around clicking off the safety and aiming.