Ch 14 - Progress

CRACK

The sounds of bones snapping in two filled her ears as she watched from a distance. Her eyes were wide with terror yet she stood in the water, frozen and forced to watch what was in front of her.

SNAP

Yet another bone in her teacher's body was broken with ease. The large beast sitting on top of him, emotionless and cold eyes, stared right into her forest green ones as it held the broken arm of her teacher.

"Stop it! Stop!" she cried out, but the deep purple skinned beast did not listen. It grabbed her teacher's head and forced it upwards before slamming it into the blood-stained floor beneath him. Her teacher's body made no movement, no longer struggling to escape, his body limp under the beast.

His cold dull eyes stared into her own.

Lifeless.

Green eyes snapped open as the girl awoke with a sharp gasp

Green eyes snapped open as the girl awoke with a sharp gasp. Yasumi's chest heaved as she tried to catch her breath, and with a quiet groan she sat up and stared at the wall in front of her. She reached up and felt her fingers gently graze the skin of her cheek, which she now realized was damp.

Yasumi wiped her tears away with a quiet yawn and turned to look at her alarm clock.

9:00 am

As the numbers flashed on the dark screen, she shook her head with a soft sigh and slipped out of bed. She stretched her arms before a delicious aroma wafted into her room, making her tilt her head in confusion.

Yasumi put on her soft slippers and walked downstairs, turning the corner and seeing her aunt in the kitchen. The aroma was stronger than ever as Yasumi sniffed the air with a soft sigh. "Aunt Kiku... what are you doing here? I thought you had work today..." Yasumi said softly as she walked closer towards the kitchen.

Kiku turned her head and smiled brightly at her niece. "Morning Yasu! Did you really think I'd leave my niece alone after what she had experienced just yesterday? No way," Kiku said firmly as she flipped whatever she was cooking on the pan. "Though I didn't expect you to be up this early, considering there's no school today... so just have a seat while I finish making breakfast."

Yasumi glanced at the wooden dining table for a moment, hesitating before taking a seat. She fumbled with her hands nervously as her aunt made breakfast, getting lost within her own head as she stared down at the table.

Yasumi snapped out of it when a tray was placed in front of her. She looked up at her aunt and smiled weakly as Kiku kissed her forehead. "Eat up!" Kiku said as she took a seat next to her and put her own tray down.

Yasumi looked at the tray in front of her, seeing there was a bowl of rice, a small plate which had a piece of smoked salmon on it, another bowl filled with miso soup, and a small bowl of fruit on the side. "Thank you..." she said before picking up her chopsticks and eating her food.