• o n e •

Diana.
~

Breathe.

In. Out. In. Out.

Everything is going to be okay.

The hospital ward is filled with the sounds of constant beeping and occasional chatter and she already knows that the white noise is going to annoy her to no end.

She looks up at the bland roof once again, noticing the flickering light directly above her. She counts the times it goes out whilst patiently waiting for the nurse.

One...
Two...
Three...

Taking her long brown hair out of its headache inducing ponytail, she runs her hands through her locks, temporarily closing her eyes in doing so. She wraps the hair tie around her wrist, going back to looking at the ceiling again.

Four...
Five...

She rests her head in her hands, her chin fitting comfortably in her delicate palm. She kicks her feet out, admiring her unwashed shoes and odd socks, remembering how much of a hurry she was in this morning. Looking at the clock on the wall, she realises she has been sitting there for almost an hour. Time moves slowly in hospital waiting rooms.

Six...
Seven...
Eight...

Her cup of tea had long turned cold but she reaches for it anyway, wanting something to hold on to.

Nine...

She stands up, taking her full cup with her. Twisting and turning through the constant corridors, she makes her way to the communal kitchen, stopping only when she felt a nudge on her side.

"I'm sorry" he quickly says, his hushed voice sending shivers down her spine.

"It's alright" she replied, looking into his clear eyes. The honey colour reminds her of the coffee shop she often visited at home, before she found herself here.

"I'll see you around, I guess" he says before turning on his heel, leaving her breathless.

The chair was still warm from earlier, making it comfortable for her to sit on. Looking around, less people are seated with her, meaning it must be late. She looks up at the ceiling again, noticing the light still flickering.

"Diana, you can see your mother now" a kind voice says.

Glancing up at the light again, she counts the last number before walking towards the nurse, who had her hand outstretched.

Ten.