Before ~ Chapter One

I still remember what it felt like to go to the first day of school every year. In the younger years it was the most exciting thing ever; has anyone knew moved to town? Will I make new friends? Will any cute boys like me? In the older years was when everyone started to understand more; if you make friends in high school, they probably won't stay. We all knew it, yet we did it anyways, because at the time nobody cared that much.

My most memorable first day was ninth grade, when I finally got to be in high school. When middle schoolers get to freshman year, it's as if they're a princess or prince and they've finally gotten to move up to king and queen.

But my first day of high school was different. Not bad, just different. I never had many friends in middle school, so when I found a friend on my first day of high school it was like winning a gold medal.

"Excuse me, do you have history with Mister Piper this period as well? Or know anyone that does?" At first I hadn't even realized that he was talking to me, so when I glanced over and noticed him looking at me with almost pitifully hopeful eyes, I was kind of shocked.

"Uh, yeah, I don't really know where it is though." I felt almost embarrassed, trying to keep from making eye contact.

"Oh, that's fine. Do you want to maybe try and find it together? Well not together, but together." His awkwardness was honestly hilarious, but I just nodded and said something sheepish and bland like 'yeah sure' or something like that.

That day I was sitting alone at lunch, reading, as usual. Until I heard a chair scooting and before I knew it, the same boy from earlier was sat across from me.

"I never got your name." Was the first thing that slipped out of his mouth when he took his seat.
Naturally, my inner smart ass couldn't pass this up, and I responded with "You never asked for it."
"Okay, that's fair enough. I'm Grayson, what is your name?"
"Call me Acadia."
"Is that your real name?"
"Nope."
"What is your real name?"
"You'll find out eventually."

Grayson was actually beautiful, for a boy. I hadn't wanted to think about it when I was around him, but when I got home I went straight to my sketch pad. He had dark green eyes, like a forest was growing in his iris. His hair was longer but not too long, in little curls that sat just at the top of his neck. It was dark brown, but with a rich chocolates type of look. He had a really big smile too, trust me, you couldn't miss it if you were a mile away. His teeth are almost alarmingly white, too. He had an oval face, but with very striking features. Including a killer jawline and sculpted cheekbones. He looked like he belonged in a magazine, except for his plain jeans and Pokémon tee shirt. Which was weird, because I wore a Pokémon tee shirt the day we met too. Almost like our friendship was meant to be.