Chapter 7

~(...____Third–Person Pov____...)~

This probably took place in the time frame of the last chapter: Corrine's Entry.
_________________________________________

"Think about it!, skittles are way better than smarties" She declared with a grin, pushing off the bed just to glare at him, awaiting his answer, an answer she knew would come.

They argued about this particular topic incessantly yet never reached an agreement.

"You're just saying that because you choked on a smartie once," He glared at her right back, barely managing to muffle his laughter.

"..."

"Fall?"

"..."

"Fall!"

"That also proves that they are health hazards!" She called out indignantly, spilling her pack of skittles onto the clinical white tiles in the process.

His eyebrows shot up in undisguised mockery.

"You could choke on a whole protein bar, if care wasn't taken, not because they are health hazards but because that's just you, Fall, it's always about you."

He watched her sigh before leaning back into the mass of pillows behind her, he saw her eyes glaze over and her lips press together into a thin line.

He had upset her again!

He gingerly made his way towards her bed, looking as repentant as a 8-year old could be. He carefully brushed the caramel locks that had fallen over her eyes, "I'm sorry I said that, Fall," His attempt to smile failed miserably. "I didn't know it would hurt you!"

Her lips tilted into a small smile for about two seconds and then it was gone.

"No Xay, it's not that, it's just—" she sighed in frustration "I don't think I'm getting better," she gestured all around  her "The doctors say I'm getting better, dad says it too but I don't feel any different" she blew out a puff of breath "I don't feel better!"

Tears came to her eyes as she continued "I don't want to stay here anymore, I don't want to be hooked up to this anymore," she tugged on her IV line, like the only thing that could make her happy would be to yank it out of her arm. "I just want my own room, my own bed and I want to see our treehouse again."

He stared at her, his best friend. She was covered in stitches, bandages, bruises, most of her skin tainted black and blue, connected to an IV line, had to be fed through a tube and was unconscious most of the day, but to him, she was the most special and most beautiful person he had ever laid eyes on, after Corrine offcourse.

That car accident had nothing on her.

His eyes widened as he pulled her to his chest, inhaling wisps of her vanilla-and-something-kind-of-citrusy-on-the-side scent. For just a moment, he forgot what he was about to say "Please don't cry Fall, please, I'll get permission," he worried at his bottom lip "I'll take you to our treehouse again, I'll bring you fresh peonies!"

It wasn't fair, bad things always happened to the good ones, whatever happened to justice and karma. First a car accident, the same one that took her sister away, then some unknown illness springs up, something doctors can't explain nor cure, three days to her discharge from the hospital, she'd have a relapse.

Something would go wrong, something always went wrong.

"Promise? Do you promise, Xay?"

He took her fragile hands in his and held them there, hoping he had the most sincere look in his eyes. "I promise, Fall!"

And when he smiled, she smiled back, that is, before she yawned and grimaced.

"Go to sleep Fall," he smiled gently when her eyes began to close "I'll be here when you wake up."

He watched as she began to drift, she could only be awake for a few hours at a time, thanks to her new medication for an illness that just suddenly sprung up...out of nowhere.

"I love you Fall" He whispered, placing a kiss on her forehead as she laid in bed.

He heard her mumble a faint, "Love you too Xay", before her eyes fluttered shut.

He sauntered out of the room, closing the door behind him, narrowly missing a nurse passing by with some other patient's medications.

Him.

The boy with dark hair, blue eyes and a heartthrob's smile.

The boy who—somehow, by some divine miracle—managed to be her all in all.

*****
Author's Note:
Chapter 7 officially finished❤❤❤

Sorry for taking so long to update. I'm in this emptiness mood rn.

My usual go-to activity is writing and my body has totally rejected it.

Sigh.

But anyway, don't forget to vote and comment.