Chapter twelve:

Clarity mindlessly tidied up her room for a long while after Johnny had gone. Her mind was still whirring and mulling endlessly over the dump of information she'd received.

   She'd always known he was hiding at least something. There was a crowded feeling to his silence, and she could always tell that he was thinking about something unspoken whenever she looked at him. But nothing she ever could have dreamed up would have been quite correct, and she still didn't know the whole story.

   A singular, although rather large, puzzle piece had been provided for her, and now her brain was choosing to go wild with it.

   One thought rang over the others with the loudest cry of them all: That singular, torturous reminder that he was the very last of his kind that existed in the entire universe. How could someone live like that? Was it even that much different from what he had known, with his ability to shift into any other species he liked?

   It was a long while before another thought managed to infiltrate her musings, and it was the fact that today was the day they were supposed to meet Ellie again. They might be able to finally track down Eric Lance and put a stop to his reign of terror.

  I really needed to stop getting mixed up in so many other problems.

   None of them would ever get anything done if they all followed every little tangent that their own crazy world created for them.

   She shook her head and walked out into the living room, only to discover that everyone else had seemingly been thinking along the same lines as she had. They were all gathered near the kitchen doorway, rehashing the entire discussion about the whole Ellie thing, even though they'd already settled it.

   Upon Clarity's arrival, though, the conversation quickly died out with the arrival of the knowledge that they were all gathered.

   Everyone quickly and unanimously decided that it was late enough in the afternoon to head to the Boatyard amusement part. Ellie hadn't left a specific time to go there, so they didn't know when she would show up. They also didn't know where she would be... maybe this wasn't such a great idea, after all, no matter how tempting it was to gather information on their biggest problem.

   Clarity didn't know how big the park was, but she guessed that it was pretty sizable. They would have to search for Ellie, and even after that, they still wouldn't know exactly what to expect. This kid was a wild card and could have absolutely anything up her sleeve.

   One thing to be thankful for, though, was the overcast weather. Fog filled the air and light drizzling had been switching on and off over the course of the day. It would be the perfect opportunity to wear her suit on underneath other clothing.

   A large sweater and slightly baggy pants over her suit, with the silver hood sticking out the back and her hair pulled into an out-of-the-way bun was the final result of her ten minutes getting ready. The fact that silver clothing was a current fashion trend wouldn't hurt her desire to blend in.

   They started on their way to the park without further fussing.

   They decided not to go via teleportation, mainly because neither Scarlett nor Clarity had ever been there before, and there were no immediately available pictures they could rely on. They went in a rental car. They had to ask directions several times before they were able to find the way.

   The amusement park wasn't actually in a boatyard, which was a little deceptive, but it was heavily saturated in everything nautical.

   Colorful rides spanned as far as the eye could see. Carnival games advertised a win every time, and multi-colored lights blinked and flashed in every direction. Food stands were interspersed between everything, and the smells of popcorn and funnel cakes wafted around them. Despite it being a colder and foggy day, there were still swarms of people. Clarity hated to imagine what it was like on a nice day.