Fantasize | Dermot Kennedy

Note: Please watch the video in the header so that you can understand the performance :)

Dermot was not really a friend. Belle had only spoken to him a few times, really.  But she'd wanted him from the first time she saw him perform at an open mic. 

He wasn't really supposed to be there. It was like he hadn't realized what part of town he was in and stopped at the first bar he found with his guitar. T

he host pronounced his name wrong, but he still got up on the stage of Club Cafecito, sat down on his little stool, and introduced himself. "Hi, I'm Dermot," he said, flashing his wide smile, his face reddening. His Irish accent and the confidence he had to have to sing in front of a crowd full of Black women and men, peaked her interest. 

When he started to strum his guitar and sing, she was riveted from beginning to end of his cover of "Swim Good." He held so much passion in his tone, and his voice was deep and commanded a room. When he finished, the room erupted in a hesitant applause. Belle looked over at her friend Marsha, whose expression was also one of pleasant surprise. "Homeboy can sang." 

Belle wished he'd sang another song, but he simply thanked them and made his way to sit down by himself, across the room. She watched him from the corner of her eye during the next few performances. He seemed genuinely interested in each performer. 

At intermission, she turned to her brother James with an idea on her mind. "James, you know how you're really good at making friends?" she smiled, putting her arm around his shoulder. He looked up from his phone and rolled his eyes. "What do you want, Belle?" He acted irritated at first, but he was actually more than willing to invite Dermot to sit with them. 

"Girl, you ain't slick," Marsha said, watching her watch the two men. "You've had your eyes on white boy all night." Belle shrugged. "Was I supposed to just go up and talk to him?"

"Yes..." Marsha said. Belle snorted into her drink. Her heart started to beat a little faster as she saw James' mission had been successful and they were heading back towards their table. She quickly tried to look interested in her phone.