Busy Boy | Timothée Chalamet x Halle Bailey (Part 1)

(please listen to the song in the header)

"Bro, isn't that your girl? Or, one of them?"

The question came from one of Timothée's friends. It was Saturday night, and Tim had come out with a few friends to celebrate Cudi's birthday. He sat in a rented out area of a club with Lily beside him. He hadn't really been paying attention to her, he was pretty much just scrolling through his phone and sipping his drink. Tim rolled his eyes at the question, taking a few seconds to see what his friend was on about.

He looked down at the dance floor, his eyes catching on two girls dressed in short black dresses, locs swinging down their backs as they sang along to whatever Drake song was playing. Tim tried to hide the surprise on his face. He bit his lip, watching the way Halle was dancing and laughing with her sister. She looked so carefree.

Halle hadn't answered his texts in weeks and he didn't know why. The last time she'd texted him, she'd asked when she would see him again. They made plans that he had to cancel. There was a party, and then there were some press events, which all just so happened to include his female co-stars. Every time he'd texted her since then, it was late at night, but that didn't mean he didn't genuinely want to see her. And fool around a little. He shook his head. Focus, Timmy.

He knew he'd been in the tabloids with a new girl every few days lately. The press liked to paint him as a playboy. Sometimes Timmy couldn't even deny those claims. He was friends and more than friends with many women. That didn't change the fact that he missed Halle.

Suddenly, Chloe looked up at him, and he dropped his arm from around Lily's shoulders.

Halle's gaze followed, and for a moment she looked back at him. Then she looked away, like she didn't even know him. Both she and Chloe started making their way through the crowd, leaving the dance floor. "Damn," Tim muttered aloud. 

Lily slipped her arm under his, trying to get impossibly closer to him. "You wanna get out of here, Timmy?"

He looked down at Lily's blonde hair. What was he doing? F-ing up, as usual. He swirled his drink around in his glass. "In a bit, Lily," he assured her.

Against his better judgement, he disentangled himself from Lily and went to follow the two girls.

"Hey! Halls!" He caught up to them as they were walking out of the club. Chloe stepped in front of Halle with a fierce expression. "What do you want?" she questioned harshly.

Tim backed up. Chloe had always scared him a little.

Halle waved Chloe away. "It's okay girl, I can talk to him." Chloe reluctantly backed off.

Halle looked him over, her mouth fixed in a humorless smile.

"You're a real busy boy, aren't you?"

"Halle," Tim reached for her hand but she backed up to move out of his reach.

He ran a hand through his messy hair. Even now, when she was really pissed at him, he was still so cute. This was the problem.

"I miss you. What did I do?" Tim asked her sincerely.

He wanted her to say it was okay, that they could hang out again, that they were still friends, but Halle wouldn't this time. She'd consistently done that throughout their little friendship, even though they felt for each other. Whenever he lied or she saw him out with other girls, she told herself she had no right to be mad and just went ahead and had a good time with him. But that couldn't continue forever.

Tim was a confusing mix between a total fuckboy and the sweetest guy she knew.

"Everything, Tim. And I thought I was cool with just hanging around with you, but I'm not. You're here and then you just disappear, and then you just pop back up again like I'm supposed to be cool with that," Halle said, finally showing her frustration.

She didn't look up at Timmy because he knew he would just look really sad. "Halle- I- I really care about you, I just--"

"You just, what? You're just seeing a lot of other girls right now? You just have a lot of parties to go to?"

This whole interaction was really blindsiding him. He always just thought Halle was...cool.

Tim didn't say anything back to her, just looked real remorseful, because he knew he couldn't make any more promises to her.

Halle saw that. She watched his face, how his jawline flexed and unflexed as he thought. She came close to him, smelling his cologne, and leaned up to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"See you around, Timmy," Halle said, turning to follow Chloe back to the Uber.

---------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, later that night, Halle still couldn't stop thinking about him. She sat on the couch in her pajamas beside Chloe. They were watching reruns of The Office but Chloe could tell her sister was in a funk.

"You've gotta stop, sis. He'll never be good for you."

"But he's so sweet when we're together..."

"But when you're apart, he's a total fuckboy," Chloe finished her statement with a deadpan expression.

Halle nodded with a sigh. "Yes, but he's so damn fine!" she groaned.

They sat in silence for a few minutes until Chloe spoke up again.

"If you still wanna see him, you're gonna have to just play with him."

"What?" Halle looked at her sister like she was crazy.

"Yes. You can spend a litle time with him, but you can't get too deep. Just play with him, girl."

That sounded like a really bad idea. But Halle was already scrolling to Timmy's contact in her phone.

are u up?

sent at 2:06 AM

She knew he would be.