Chapter 11: Crown of Thorns

Oreo was still asleep next to me and immediately I got up, trying my best not to wake up the little fella. My sister was making breakfast and could smell it even from the guest room. After quickly showering and putting on some new clothes I walked over to the kitchen. I had a feeling she was making either pancakes or waffles. Either one would work perfectly at this point.

"¡Buenos días!" I greeted.

"¡Buenos días!" she returned the greeting. "Hungry?"

"Yeah, I see you're making some waffles. Sounds delish. Got any condensed milk to go with those?"

"Of course" she pulled out a squeezable bottle of condensed milk, a Mexican brand called La Lechera.

"I had no idea they had this brand here."

"I went to the store this morning, saw it and knew I had to get it."

"Awesome. So what did you and Sheikh Daddio do last night after I fell asleep?" I asked, my tone spilling with sarcasm.

"We just talked."

"About what?"

"Just stuff" she said, though I could see through her evasiveness.

"And by stuff, I'll bet you mean me?"

"And mom."

"So you admit it?" I glared at her.

"He's not a bad guy. And the way he was talking about you, I can tell you that he cares about you a great deal."

"Yeah sure. This is not something I want to talk about this early in the morning."

"It's 11:30am."

"Who cares!"

"Orange juice?" she poured some in a glass.

"Sure. Now, before I inhale that orange juice, why did you even invite him over?"

"Because he's a nice person and I wanted you two to connect."

"Newsflash, it didn't happen and it never will. He also messed up the evening when it was supposed to be just us two. So could you please stop trying to play matchmaker?"

"Faisal, you're my brother and I love you, but you're being really difficult."

"Yeah, I know I am. And I don't care. I just want to be free and to go back home. Plus, I miss Melanie and Gabe."

"Right now, you need to fix things with your dad. I'm sure Melanie and Gabe will visit when they can."

"Why am I being forced to live here when I don't want to?!"

"Because you're the son of the Crown Prince, which means that you also have a duty to him and this emirate."

"Oh hell no! I have no duties that involve me dealing with that man. Plus, I don't want to be in the spotlight. I don't want anyone knowing I am the son of the beloved Crown Prince and I do not want to deal with any royal duties! No fucking way!"

"Language, language!" she warned.

"I'm sorry" I sighed.

"It's fine. But think about it, will you? It might not be as bad. Believe me, he will protect you. If you took the time to get to know him, you'll see he's a really nice guy."