16: The Deduction Game III (Night 2 + Day 2)

A/N: The Deduction Game: Quarantine Edition continues!

LOKI

MY HUNCH about Stein may be wrong, but it's still good riddance.

This game wasn't as easy as I thought. The first day of lynching was all about throwing random accusations and listening to gut feelings. I didn't like Stein. His presence irritates me. He's like a bee that flies around you, buzzing and annoying people at the same time.

What do you do with an irksome bee? You squash it. I decided to convince my fellow players that removing him early on was the best choice. Yes, it may be such as shame for some that he's one of the Healthy players, but I had no regrets.

Whoever is the Infected among us, they are doing a heck of a good job of concealing themselves. Either actively participating in the discussions or not saying anything at all isn't enough to suspect anyone. Well, if they chose to remain passive and act as a watchful observer, there would be little to work with. But if they chose to talk too much, there's a chance that they might say something inconsistent, and that inconsistency might be the hint that we need.

So my trick was to let everyone talk and wait for them to make a mistake.

"Good morning, players!" Sir Morayta's voice reverberated in the gymnasium. I could hear the audience letting out their sighs of exasperation as if they got stressed from watching.

The night phase was over. Finally. It felt strange to stare at nothing but the black cloth around me. It gave me an uncomfortable experience as if I was trapped in a coffin. I drew the curtain of the portable changing room and stepped out of it, returning to my seat.

I panned my head from right to left. I may consider Lorelei, Jamie, and Alistair as my friends, but I can't completely trust any of them in this game. Lorelei may be playing safe so she chose to say nothing. Jamie may be pretending to be on my side so I wouldn't suspect her. Alistair may be playing the good guy so I wouldn't find him suspicious. It's a game of deception after all. I expect nothing less.

In the previous day phase, Margarette and Luthor voted to lynch me. As a true-blooded Healthy player, I found that really suspicious. But I can't discount the fact that their choice was based on their personal beef—if I may borrow wretched Stein's words earlier—with me.

Margarette is no big fan of mine. I wager she would have me lynched in the next day phases. I'd suggest that she doesn't take things personally, but that would be hypocritical of me. I had Stein removed because of my personal issues with him.

Luthor is, well, my brother. If he's the Infected, I highly doubt that he would have me removed during the night phase. He's too smart to do something that could be easily traced back to him. Maybe I should have had him lynched instead of Stein.

How about this lollipop-sucking Rye Rubio? If he's the enemy, he's also playing safe. He doesn't speak too much. He merely watches everyone throw accusations at each other. He doesn't react quickly to the points we make, as if he's seriously weighing the options. He's playing smart too, I guess.