-ˋˏ ༻ prologue ༺ ˎˊ-

-ˋˏ ༻ PROLOGUE ༺ ˎˊ-

2 years ago...

Yamamoto Sai had always been the type of person to not lose her cool over trivial things. Ever since she was younger, she had been known to her peers as someone reliable, someone who didn't explode with just a single remark from another person. She knew how to keep her emotions in check, and nothing, not even anyone could break her. 

But that was until she crossed paths with a tall red haired guy named Tendou Satori. He, to her surprise, was able to break her patience and paint her cheeks red with frustration. If there was one phrase to describe their relationship, it would be that Tendou Satori was the bane of her existence.

Tendou, in all his life, had always been different from the rest. People called him names and didn't like being around him. He was always excluded, as if he was out of this world and that he did not have a place in any circle he was put in. Some even went as far as to call the young boy a monster, but he soon found his place in volleyball where he could feel like he was more comfortable and more like himself. Like he could fit in and actually have fun. 

Volleyball became his freedom, in the same way that it was to Yamamoto Sai.

If there was something that made the two teenagers clash for years ahead of them, it was the way his personality and hers simply didn't match. It was akin to putting oil and water together, they simply wouldn't mix. He liked messing around while she was raised to be someone who was mature and serious.

It was the first day of high school, and Sai was looking forward to it. She was hoping to joining the volleyball club as a setter, also hoping to see her former teammate from Tokyo, Watanabe Uehara. They both studied in Tokyo during middle school, until Watanabe decided to disappear in their final year. It always baffled her why, but as months went on, she realized that maybe the girl did have reasons and there was nothing she can do to stop Watanabe from leaving anyway. 

Once Sai found out her former teammate's location, however, she decided to attend the school where the other girl transferred to. Although she was first bound to Nekoma where her cousin would study, she decided against it to keep playing with the teammate she respected the most.

"Where's the volleyball club?" Sai muttered under her breath, looking around for the gym where the volleyball club probably was.

The first thing that came to her mind during her first week in her new school was volleyball. She was more than happy to find out that the school she applied to has a strong team, but of course, she had to sign up for the club first. Maybe they had tryouts, and she had to pass that first.

Sai smiled at the thought, clenching her fist as she looked forward to what Shiratorizawa had to offer her.

As she was about to turn to a corner, Sai was surprised when a red haired guy around her age blocked her way. He had a mischievous smile on as if he was planning something she couldn't quite put her finger on, and it pissed her off immediately. She had somewhere to go to, why would a stranger even try to block someone else's way like that?