The Kim Clan's Princes

"Oh darling..." the face of the woman crouched before the small boy was laden with sympathy. "My little prince, I know you wish to play but we have discussed this already, have we not, Seokjinnie? You have to finish your lessons first." The woman chided the boy, but there was fondness in her eyes too.

The boy – Prince Seokjin – clasped his mother's hands in his, his voice resembling a whine as he spoke next. "But mother, the lessons are just so dull! I cannot help but doze off." The prince pouted. " And when I do, the old tutor hits me on the head with his scrolls!" He exclaimed.

The queen laughed softly, caressing her son's cheek. "Come on, then, let us go back. I am certain that Sir Lee is still waiting for you in your study."

"Nooooo!" the young prince whined, "I do not want to go back! I don't like Sir Lee and besides, I can just study when I grow older."

The queen smiled at her son and the boy's face brightened; after all, he loved his mother's smile. However, the queen's attendant, Hyejin, could see the deep sadness in her eyes.

"But my boy, we do not know what the future holds. You have to do your best when you have the chance to." The queen patted the boy on his head. "Not everything lasts forever, Seokjinnie."

***

The queen sat on a chair that had been pulled up by the bed, a damp wash cloth in her hand. She dabbed the cloth against Seokjin's sweaty forehead, wiping the sweat away while the boy writhed and twisted among the silken sheets.

"He is going to be so devastated, my queen." Hyejin took the cloth from the queen's hand to rinse it in a basin of water.

Seokjin's mother sighed as her son clutched tighter at her hand, the pain of his first heat scorching his insides.

"I worry about him." The queen consort confided in her attendant, her closest friend apart from her husband- the king- and her two sons. "He is a free spirit, but now that he is an omega he will not have the freedom to do as he pleases."

"But still, he is the crown prince and His Majesty loves him dearly. I would like to think that the council would not dare to impose too many restrictions on the prince."

The queen shook her head, brushing away her son's matted hair from his forehead as the last bout of heat died down and Seokjin curled up on his side.

"The King's council would not approve if Jinnie's behavior in the future is anything but that of a perfect omega." She stated. "It is just the way our world works. Outside our homes omegas have no power and no say in politics."

"But My Queen, do you not always say that not everything lasts forever?" Hyejin asked. The Queen herself was an omega, but she too had no power in the palace. However, she was an intelligent and lettered person and would often ramble on to Hyejin for hours about the many amazing versions of the future that she had dreamt up during her younger years. "The world is bound to change, is it not?"

"I very much hope so, dear. And I would love to see that change come about while my boys are still young, so that they could be able to decide their future themselves." she withdrew her hand from where it was clutched in Seokjin's sweaty palm and stood up, smoothing down her gown. "Shall we go draw a bath for him now, Hyejin? After the last three days I imagine he would be very exhausted when he wakes later."

"Yes, my lady."

***

Prince Seokjin was the finest example that one could use to illustrate that nothing lasts forever.

The omega prince was fourteen now, it being almost a year since he had presented and had his first heat, and he lived in luxury and comfort of the royal palace of the Lupa Kim Clan.