Chapter Three

SADIE

I cried last night.

However, this time it wasn't over Finn but of the ending of A Walk to Remember which had become mine and Hadley's favorite movie. Usually, when we choose a movie to watch we'd watch it profusely until we either got bored of it or we could recite the dialogue line by line. Last night was what I counted to be the ninth time we saw it within the span of two weeks.

Our movie obsession started our Sophomore year and grew to be our own little ritual. It was our break from classes that began to feel all too overwhelming and taxing and from the partying when hangovers and alcohol just wasn't as appealing as staying home in comfortable pjs and filling yourself with uncountable carbs. We also agreed on a few rules that included no texting unless it is important, no genre should be left untouched, and rewatching any Matthew Mcconaughey or Keanu Reeves movies was acceptable.

The only downside to be considered is how late you end up staying up watching said movie because in mornings like this where my eyes weren't wanting to fully open and I was desperate for another hour I remembered I had class to get to by 08:30.

Awake, but struggling to get up from my bed I found the only way possible was to rip it off like a bandaid. Without a second thought I ripped the comforter from my body and hopped out from my bed and the settled warmth. I had chosen a simple pair of mom-jeans and a go-to black tank top that was comfortable above all else. If I was one thing it was an outfit repeater.

This morning seemed to be a blur between rushing to get ready and driving with a lead foot all the way to campus. In total I had five minutes to spare when I sat down in my chair. I felt a wave of relief and what I believe to be a bead of sweat trickle down my forehead. Texas heat was no joke even in the early mornings. Growing up I was used to the heat being from North Carolina but nothing could beat Texas's humidity.

People began to pour in at the last minute and our professor was kind enough to let those late still enter the classroom. The only one however, to be exceptionally late was Nick Kennedy. Striding in he looked as though he could care less which I'm sure was the case. Not wanting to stare too long I doodled little flowers on the corner of my notebook page before feeling a presence hanging above me then the same presence sitting right beside me. The only time Nick wished to speak to me was before a test to get in my head but one hadn't been planned for another two weeks. Nick and myself were top of our class and soon it became a competition on who could score the highest grade. Surprisingly the infamous baseball jock and frat brother was incredibly smart which irked me to my core.

Looking up from my page he was already staring at me with an apparent sinister grin illustrated on his boyish features. "Morning." He said, his words rhythmic.

"Morning." I replied not knowing what else to say but I was waiting for it. Waiting for whatever shit he had to say to me this time.

"Heard you and Whitmore broke up." He started before tilting his head to the side. "I was kinda curious, why?"

"Humor me Nick. Why do you think we broke up?" I knew he knew the answer and simply wanted a rise out of me. I felt like I was in preschool again being taunted by the big bad bully that ruled the playground and I was not in the mood for childish games.

"Heard he cheated with a sorority chick." However in this there was no taunting or mocking simply stating a fact.

I felt my mouth grow bitter in seconds. Truthfully, I wanted to be mad or angry and make a jab at his baseball team's losing streak but instead I chose to admit it. Why should I be the one embarrassed?

"You're right." I couldn't tell if he was shocked or perhaps worried as he took a few moments to think to himself. Waiting for another remark from him, the Professor began her lecture.