immunity

╔═══*.·:·.★ ✦ ★・:・:*═══╗

I M M U N I T Y

joel shoots up from his nightmare, he pants as he look around the room to find his daughter and ellie sitting in two chairs by the window, paige was asleep, whilst ellie was staring at the outside, "you mumble in your sleep. i hate bad dreams."

"yeah, me too." joel replies, as he stands up to turn on the lantern that was on the table beside paige, her playing cards stacked into a neat pile by the box, the sudden light makes paige wake up and hear the rest of their conversation. "you know, i've never been this close. to the outside. look how dark it is. it can't be any worse out there, can it?" Ellie asks as she turns to look at the man behind her.

"what on earth do the fireflies want with you?" his question was left without an answer as tess opens the door.

"hey, sorry it took so long, soldiers fucking everywhere."

"how's marlene?" ellie asks the brunette.

"she'll make it." tess reassures her, "i saw the merchandise, its a lot. wanna do this?" she asks paige and joel, the pair nod their heads, "let's go."

the four make their way into a room with a generator, "don't you think it's a bit strange that they're asking us to do their smuggling?" joel says, as he walks over to the machine.

"marlene wanted to do it herself, we weren't her first choice, or the second for that matter, she's lost a lot of men, beggars can't be choosers."

"well here's to hoping there's someone alive to pay us." paige added, as the quartet move to stand on the platform, "someone will be around, come on."

the lift decends as joel questioned, "who's waiting for us at the drop off?"

tess replies, "she said there's some fireflies that travelled all the way from another city, girl must be important." she addresses ellie, "what's the deal with you? you some big wigs daughter or something?"

"somethinf like that." ellie answers, "how long is all this gonna take?"

they all move off of the platform as tess replies, "if everything goes as planned, we should get you to them in a few hours. ellie, once we get out there, i need you to follow our lead and stay close."

"yeab of course." the four as them make it to the outskirt entrance.

tess orders, "climb up and check if the coast is clear."

joel pushes the wooden board aside and sees a few military soldiers moving away from them. "hold up, there's a patrol up ahead." once they're out of sight Joel continues, "alright, were good, come on up."

tess and paige jump up and feel the cold rain hit their faces, Paige turns around and offers her hand out for Ellie to take, once she has a grip, Paige pulls the smaller girl out of the hole, giving Joel enough room to cover up the passage, "this rain isn't going to do us any good." The man says.

"Holy shit, I'm actually outside." Ellie gasps, as she looks all around in wonder. "Up this way."

They walk up an old truck, but were ambushed by the earlier patrol, one of them hits Joel, making him fall to the ground, "dad!" Paige tries to run to her father but was also pushed to the ground by the guards, "don't do anything stupid." "Move. Turn around, on your knees. You scan them, I'll call it in." The first officer said.