days of you and me

╔═══*.·:·.★ ✦ ★・:・:*═══╗

D A Y S  O F  Y O U  A N D  M E

Tommy had convinced Paige to come on patrol with him and Joel. She was currently stood by the window, watching how the street was pooled with the blood of the hunters they had killed before taking refuge in the house.

"I don't know what happened. We were suppose to the fireflies and walk away." Joel begins, he was sat in the armchair cleaning the dirt off of a guitar, "you go halfway across the country with someone... she needed her immunity to mean something. Maybe I was starting to buy into that whole... cure business. Maybe I just wanted to do right by her."

"And then we made it. We found the fireflies." Paige whispers from the window, "and because of her... they were actually going to make a cure."

"The only catch... it would kill her." He doesn't look up, only staring at the guitar.

"Jesus Christ, Joel. What'd you do?" Tommy asked, his rifle in his lap as he sat on the coffee table.

Joel looks up through his lashes, "I saved her."

"Goddamn." Tommy was at loss for words as he wrings his hands together, "That's... that's a lot. What does Ellie know?"

"I told her they just ran some tests. I told her... her immunity meant nothing." Joel reveals, he stops playing with the guitar and gives his brother his full attention.

"And she believed you?" Tommy asked.

"Didn't say otherwise." Paige says, putting back to the window and crosses her arms with her head bowed, strands of blonde hair falling in front of her face.

"We should head back." Tommy stands up, grabbing his back and heads towards the garage. Paige and Joel follow him, opening the door while Tommy hands them their horses.

She hops onto the dark horse, that was handpicked for her by Lila, and follows Tommy with her father trailing behind her. They up through fields and trees to see that Jackson was all lit up.

They ride down, following a stream and through a small gas station. At the end of the road was Jackson's larger than life gates. They were being pushed open by two men and the trio ride in.

Slowing to a stop, the father and daughter begin to lead the horses away to the stable, "it's okay, I got them." Tommy says, taking the reins from them.

"You sure?" Paige asks, messing the straps of her backpack.

Tommy nods, Joel goes back to his horse to get his back, since the guitar was strapped to his back. Before they could walk away, the blond man stops them, "about what we were talking about earlier... I can't say I'd of done different. I'll take it to the grave, if I have to."

Joel pats his brothers shoulder, "I'll see you later Tommy." He and Paige walk down the bustling streets of Jackson towards their new found home.

. • ° ______ ° • .

Ellie was sitting in her little hut behind Joel's house, listening to some music on her walkman as she sketched.

Joel and Paige knock a couple of times but when they got no reply, they poke their head in to see her sitting at her desk. Joel gently kicks her chair, causing her to look up at the pair, "Jesus, you nearly gave me a heart attack."