winter

╔═══*.·:·.★ ✦ ★・:・:*═══╗

W I N T E R

Paige was tracking a trail of blood she found leading from where she found Callus tied to a tree. "Damn it, Ellie. I told you not to run off." She mutters to herself, wrapping her jacket closer to her body.

She trudges through the thick snow and down towards an old cabin, she sees that shot infected were surrounding it, making her curse under her breath.

The blonde moves closer with her rifle aimed high, inside the cabin, she hears Ellie's voice speaking with a strange man. Standing in the doorway was a tall man wearing a beanie, he had his gun raised with a bag of medicine in one hand.

"James, lower the gun." The man said, crouching by the fire with Ellie.

Paige moves closer and points her rifle to the back of the man's head, "yeah, James. Lower the gun." She warns him in a low growl.

James gulps and moves the gun to the floor, Paige looks at Ellie, "get a move on." Ellie avoids Paige's blue eyes and snatches the bag of medicine out of James's hand, ducking under Paige's arms, "leave us the fuck alone."

The man, David, just sends her a smirk and raises his hands in surrender, "you won't survive long out there. I can protect you."

Paige scoffs, "go fuck yourself." The girls run off back to the horses and they ride back to the town in silence.

Just before they reach their safe house Ellie says, "I'm sorry."

Paige narrows her eyes at the teen, "what did I say about staying by Callus?"

"I saw a deer, we needed food Paige." Ellie argues, gripping onto Callus's reins tightly.

"I don't care. If I'm not back, you don't move until I do." The blonde snaps, reiterating the rules.

"I got him the medicine." Ellie reveals, her voice strong as she defends herself.

Paige sighs, going silent she rubs her brow, "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to snap at you... just get inside." She slides off of Celestia's saddle and opens up the garage door, once they were all inside she closes it down and follows Ellie to the basement.

"Joel?" Ellie asks him, sliding down on her knees beside him. His breath is seen in the cold air, relaxing the girls.

"We only managed to get a little bit of food, but Ellie got you some medicine." Paige smiles at the girl, the first smile she had since the accident.

Ellie pulls out a syringe as Paige pulls back the blanket to reveal Joel's wound. The man winces as she sticks the needle into his side.

Once Joel was wrapped up with all the blankets they could find, the girls lay down on either side of him, "get some sleep. He's gonna make it." Paige tells Ellie, closer her eyes and moving closer to Joel's side.

. • ° ______ ° • .

The next morning, Paige wakes up to Ellie peaking through the basement window out onto the street, "what's going on." The blonde whispers, pulling her backpack over her shoulders.